Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Piston Rings

Old 01-07-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing Piston Rings

How difficult is it to do with a lift and power tools? Can the rods and pistons be dropped out through the bottom without removing the crank? Is this a good idea to do as an amateur (I'll have the help of a certified mechanic), but neither of us is a professional engine builder?
Old 01-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Banned

Its easy really, pull the intake and heads. Jack the motor up and get the oil pan off then carefully mark all the rods caps and pistons so you get them back together as they came out. Then pull the rod caps and the pistons come out the top, no need to pull the crank.

I must warn you though ITS CRITICAL that everything is SPOTLESS when dealing with the bearings and crank. Any mistakes dealing with reassembly of the bearing IE smacking the crank with the rod while reinserting them is going to cost you pulling the engine.

If it were me i'd pull the engine out the top and take it to good engine shop OR find a mechanic that does this alot. Years ago when I worked as a mechanic in a GM shop I changed pistons rods and rings even bearings in the vehicles without any trouble. But you need to find a REAL mechanic who has done this 100's of times IMO.

There are so fine details that are basic knowledge needed critical to a successful result. What are the troubles with the rings now?

Also if you need to ball hone the cylinders to break the surface glaze the crank MUST BE protected and SPOTLESS when finnished.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by O2Form
Its easy really, pull the intake and heads. Jack the motor up and get the oil pan off then carefully mark all the rods caps and pistons so you get them back together as they came out. Then pull the rod caps and the pistons come out the top, no need to pull the crank.

I must warn you though ITS CRITICAL that everything is SPOTLESS when dealing with the bearings and crank. Any mistakes dealing with reassembly of the bearing IE smacking the crank with the rod while reinserting them is going to cost you pulling the engine.

If it were me i'd pull the engine out the top and take it to good engine shop OR find a mechanic that does this alot. Years ago when I worked as a mechanic in a GM shop I changed pistons rods and rings even bearings in the vehicles without any trouble. But you need to find a REAL mechanic who has done this 100's of times IMO.

There are so fine details that are basic knowledge needed critical to a successful result. What are the troubles with the rings now?

Also if you need to ball hone the cylinders to break the surface glaze the crank MUST BE protected and SPOTLESS when finnished.
Agreed, also I didnt think pistons could be taken out the bottom due to the crank webbing getting in the way??? Am I wrong???
Old 01-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by O2Form
Then pull the rod caps and the pistons come out the top, no need to pull the crank.
Right they come ut the top.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, i posted this up as a thread, but hopefully u can answer quicker, what direction do the connec ting rods face? they have little nipples on one side..nipples front or back? thanks

Search this Thread