Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another "why do my chambers look like this" thread

Old 01-19-2011, 01:47 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Another "why do my chambers look like this" thread

If you look by the intake valves, there is a portion of the chamber that is clean. It almost looks like the valves are closing off-center, slapping that area, and then sliding back to center. All 8 cylinders look like this.

When I bought the heads they had valves and seals, but some of the valves were bent. I had the machine shop do a valve job and buy new valves. The first set they ordered were OEM size, and when they tried them they were too small. So they ordered some that were +.020" and used those. They were lapped but not assembled when I received them. After the fact, I measured the old valves that came out of the head and saw that they were +.060". I assume that if the +.020" valves were too small to use that the machine shop would have seen that.

I can't find the invoice from the machine shop, but I think they had to replace a couple of the valve guides too.

Anyway does this look like what I described, and how would the valves be able to move inside their guides?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:03 AM
Banned

You need to disassemble the valve springs to check the clearance on the guides AND find a better machine shop. There are a bunch of things that should be checked and set up when doing a set of heads. Most machine shops are hacks IMO and don't have a clue. Finding someone who knows their profession today is truely a rare thing. i'm gonna give you some advice. DON"T WASTE ANY MORE TIME with this machine shop. MOVE ON!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Teching In

I assembled the heads, the shop just did the valve job and lapped them. I don't recall there being any play inside the valve guides when I put everything together. Is that what I should be looking for? Is there a way to measure it?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:42 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The intake valve definitely looks off center compared to the valve seat.

See how you can almost see part of the valve seat from 3'oclock to 9'oclock?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like was said, don't go back to them. Something is very obviously wrong, and now I would think there is a possibility your valves could be hurt as well. I would personally have all the guides replaced by a reputable shop (like WCCH, or TEA for example). Did they regrind everything, or just lap them all?

Search this Thread