Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L92/Lq9/other?

Old 01-19-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default L92/Lq9/other?

I spun a bearing the other night.. Looking to build another motor.

I am just looking at some of you guys' opinion on setups. I don't have money for a 408/etc so it will be of a more budget built but want something I can grow on.
Looking to spend around 3K for the time being. The MAIN question right now is which block? I am pretty positive I want to go with Ls3 heads.

L92/Lq9/etc...

Here is my book.... Too much info is better than not enough.

I will break it down in a way that I think would be easiest for me to give the best answer.

Current setup/numbers/times
Stock bottom end ls1
ported/milled 317s
custom 226/228 .588 114
ported FAST 102/92
Stock MAF (will be moving up to a larger diameter MAF/lid later)
Kooks LTs/TSP Xpipe/1 chambers before axle
Chrs1313 Ram air
PTC 4000 (built 4l60e)
3.73 (stock 10 bolt) I will have a 9" shortly so no worries there
Nearly full BMR adj. suspension (dont have drag bar or front shocks yet)
Plate kit/Nano
Race weight is around 3450#... Nothing has been removed, I run Prostars at the track and I will not be removing any weight in the future..

Before the Xpipe/intake/tb/chrs1313 were added I had a nitrous tune on it and on a low dyno I did IIRC- 372/350
I put on the intake/TB and still had a nitrous tune, with no tuning at all I dynod (still on the low dyno) 380/365.

Before the xpipe/intake/tb/chrs1313 I was running consistent 7.3Xs@94mph 1.50-1.52 short times BARELY spinning the tires over. DA was around 2000+ (which seems to almost always be between 1500+ - 2500+ at my track).

Goals.....
As far as dyno numbers go, I could care less... I guess on a normal dyno if I had to pick a number I would shoot for around 475Rwhp?

Track times..
Motor- Consistent 6s.. Since my DA doesn't change too much at my track it shouldn't be too hard. I think with my new intake/tune/exhaust I have I would have been at a solid 7.1 in 1500+DA or so. I would love to see a personal best of 6.7X with the new setup..
Trap I don't care too much about, I would like to see 96+mph pretty regularly though and with good air 99 maybe. I don't know 1/4 times too well but consistent mid-high 10s@123+mph I think is what that would equate to.

Nitrous- low-mid 6s.. I am pretty sure my converter might play a roll in holding me back here. It isn't on the loose or tight side for a 4000, pretty much right on where it should be but I think might be too loose to spray a big enough shot to get me into the low 6s. I would be happy with 6.4X@105 or so. I have never ran that quick/fast so I don't know what to expect exactly. I would like to keep the shot at a maximum of 175 (I would do a 200 for a personal best maybe once a year for one pass) but I think 90% of the time I would have it jetted for a 150 hit. 150 shot would be the biggest on the street if I were to use it... I would run around with 100 jets in but probably only use in once every 2 months or so for maybe 2 races 40-130. Not too many street cars in my area that would be able to mess with me on motor, few bikes I like to play with here and there though. Again, not too keen on 1/4 times but I think bottom 10s-high high 9s @ 135 or so is what that would equate to?

I don't want a dedicated motor or nitrous car. I don't want to run 7.3s on motor and 6.2s on a 200 shot... Other hand, I don't want to run 6.7s on motor and 6.4s on a 10 shot. I want a happy medium somewhere in there.

I am up for changing anything, converter/exhaust/gears/tire size/intake/heads/etc etc etc....

Hopefully I put all that so it got my goals across... Talk it up!!

Also....
I can get a low mileage Lq9 for 1,300$
low mileage L92 for 2,200$
Can't remember the name, aluminum 6.0 (ly6) 1,800$
These are EXTREMELY low mileage/6 month warranty/shipped to me...
Old 01-19-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
I spun a bearing the other night.. Looking to build another motor.

I am just looking at some of you guys' opinion on setups. I don't have money for a 408/etc so it will be of a more budget built but want something I can grow on.
Looking to spend around 3K for the time being. The MAIN question right now is which block? I am pretty positive I want to go with Ls3 heads.

L92/Lq9/etc...

Here is my book.... Too much info is better than not enough.

I will break it down in a way that I think would be easiest for me to give the best answer.

Current setup/numbers/times
Stock bottom end ls1
ported/milled 317s
custom 226/228 .588 114
ported FAST 102/92
Stock MAF (will be moving up to a larger diameter MAF/lid later)
Kooks LTs/TSP Xpipe/1 chambers before axle
Chrs1313 Ram air
PTC 4000 (built 4l60e)
3.73 (stock 10 bolt) I will have a 9" shortly so no worries there
Nearly full BMR adj. suspension (dont have drag bar or front shocks yet)
Plate kit/Nano
Race weight is around 3450#... Nothing has been removed, I run Prostars at the track and I will not be removing any weight in the future..

Before the Xpipe/intake/tb/chrs1313 were added I had a nitrous tune on it and on a low dyno I did IIRC- 372/350
I put on the intake/TB and still had a nitrous tune, with no tuning at all I dynod (still on the low dyno) 380/365.

Before the xpipe/intake/tb/chrs1313 I was running consistent 7.3Xs@94mph 1.50-1.52 short times BARELY spinning the tires over. DA was around 2000+ (which seems to almost always be between 1500+ - 2500+ at my track).

Goals.....
As far as dyno numbers go, I could care less... I guess on a normal dyno if I had to pick a number I would shoot for around 475Rwhp?

Track times..
Motor- Consistent 6s.. Since my DA doesn't change too much at my track it shouldn't be too hard. I think with my new intake/tune/exhaust I have I would have been at a solid 7.1 in 1500+DA or so. I would love to see a personal best of 6.7X with the new setup..
Trap I don't care too much about, I would like to see 96+mph pretty regularly though and with good air 99 maybe. I don't know 1/4 times too well but consistent mid-high 10s@123+mph I think is what that would equate to.

Nitrous- low-mid 6s.. I am pretty sure my converter might play a roll in holding me back here. It isn't on the loose or tight side for a 4000, pretty much right on where it should be but I think might be too loose to spray a big enough shot to get me into the low 6s. I would be happy with 6.4X@105 or so. I have never ran that quick/fast so I don't know what to expect exactly. I would like to keep the shot at a maximum of 175 (I would do a 200 for a personal best maybe once a year for one pass) but I think 90% of the time I would have it jetted for a 150 hit. 150 shot would be the biggest on the street if I were to use it... I would run around with 100 jets in but probably only use in once every 2 months or so for maybe 2 races 40-130. Not too many street cars in my area that would be able to mess with me on motor, few bikes I like to play with here and there though. Again, not too keen on 1/4 times but I think bottom 10s-high high 9s @ 135 or so is what that would equate to?

I don't want a dedicated motor or nitrous car. I don't want to run 7.3s on motor and 6.2s on a 200 shot... Other hand, I don't want to run 6.7s on motor and 6.4s on a 10 shot. I want a happy medium somewhere in there.

I am up for changing anything, converter/exhaust/gears/tire size/intake/heads/etc etc etc....

Hopefully I put all that so it got my goals across... Talk it up!!

Also....
I can get a low mileage Lq9 for 1,300$
low mileage L92 for 2,200$
Can't remember the name, aluminum 6.0 (ly6) 1,800$
These are EXTREMELY low mileage/6 month warranty/shipped to me...
For the money i like the lq9 thats what im going with on my build LS motors just have to many damm options lmao!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have a general idea of what I want but other options are nice.. someone will think of something that I haven't thought of or dont know about.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

LQ9, since it is a fairly straight swap to your setup.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In your shoes I'd rather live with the cam, heads and intake you already had, and put them on an L92 shortblock.
Buy it as a longblock, but set the heads aside while you save up for the intake manifold and whatever.
Better to gain a bigger bore than to gain 65 pounds of iron over the nose of the car.
Plus your low end torque will improve dramatically.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i would get the l92 6.2 engine hands down over the others.
although the lq9 is just a drop in and looks to be the most economical since all your existing parts will bolt on and go
. the l92 needs ls3 intake, rail, 90mm cable tb and 24x-58x converter box.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen new l92 heads from SPDC for $375 each.it would take too much work and money to put a ls3 short block in a ls1 car.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talked to texas speed today along with a few other members on the subject.. they have a kit for under 400$ for the conversion, all I need besides that is the converter box for 200$.

This is a block i want to keep for a long time.. I'm thinking a little more money now will pay off in the end and get what I want.

No replacement for displacement and save a nice chunk of weight on the front end.

I will have right at 2800 in the l92 swap (4500 miles and 6 month warranty), which is under my original budget for the swap. I am going to swap the cam before I put the motor in.. in a few months (or if money permits now) I will port the heads and pick up an intake or possibly just port the ls3.
That should get me to my goal or maybe a little more.

I am taking some advice from some well respected members on the board and of course what I want.. I am talking to Pat G and he is going to play a big roll in the build.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: L92/Lq9/other?