Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help and opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help and opinions...

a few weeks ago i had to drive my car to my dads, it had snowed a few days prior, needless to say i got the car stuck in the snow at my dads. we tried to push her out with no luck for a while. a few hours later we tried again, with dad n his neighbor pushing and me giving it a little gas trying to catch a lil something. well in the process i apparently over rev'd it and now i think i have a lifter issue .... it makes a tapping sound 100% of run time. gets faster as i accelerate. i havent driven it since because i dont want to cause more damage. my question is, is this most likely a lifter? some other issue? i know its not easy to examine without hearing it. just based on knowledge, whats it sound like it could be? what to do to fix? i did, however, have a buddy of mine listen to it and he said a lifter also.... beats the hell outta me.

o yeah, its a 98 ls1.

also, if it is a lifter, what will i need to have done to fix it? new lifters? new motor??... anyone, please help.

thanks in advance for your time.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

drain the oil and look for needle bearings.how many miles on the motor?it could also be the trunnion bearings.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, pull the valve covers and rockers and check your pushrods. See if you bent one
Old 01-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Car has 114k miles. Ill check those things prob tuesday. Gotta look at churches tomorrow n got a funeral monday. This f in blows. I got no luck at all.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

O yea, based on what i could hear the sound was coming from the drivers side. Seemed like it was right below the valve cover. My stepdad stuck a piece of pipe up to his ear and the other on the vc. Said it sounded like it was louder in the front. Not sure that makes any difference.