Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pacesetter Lt's and the questionable y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pacesetter Lt's and the questionable y-pipe

money isn't an issue, state provisions aren't an issue..I can't decide if I want the y-pipe with or without cats...regular or racing headers... what is the best set up??? what needs to be deleted or tuned correctly..I had read that the off road pipe can cause somewhat of a raspy sound compared to the catted version...I don't want any rasp....I have a flowmaster catback and it sounds great, I want this same sound just alittle louder...no rasp..I originally wanted my setup all legal just to have it..man..I guess I'm asking what is the easiest way..I don't want to keep throwing codes...should I keep my erg and air or delete..alittle help here
Old 01-23-2011, 09:57 AM
10 Second Club

The rasp shouldn't be that bad without the cats. Personally if money wasn't an issue and you dont have to worry about passing inspection I would get the off road y-pipe and get the car tuned. Your car will benefit from the tune plus they can erase the codes so the check engine light won't be on.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Control of rasp is mainly in the shape of the Y itself. Flowmaster makes a good Y transition and should be considered.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Control of rasp is mainly in the shape of the Y itself. Flowmaster makes a good Y transition and should be considered.
I was considering the pacesetter y..for the pacesetter LT's.s I haven't seen a flowmaster y.. where can I find it..? so no catted y then..just go with the ory tks
Old 01-23-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so regular coated Lt's with provisions? I'm going to order from texas speed..so I just want to know exactly what I need...all this plug-into-play cords and stuff I'm not too sure of...
Old 01-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the pacesetter long tubes w/o egr or air. Purchased the Texas Speed version of the Y. I then hacked it up and installed a flowmaster Scavenger merge y pipe. And, it all goes out through a Flowmaster Catback. No more rasp! I took a few pictures of the build. PM me and I will e-mail you some pics.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-Y300400/
Old 01-23-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you mentioned that Price isn't a deciding factor, but if you're looking to stay within a certain budget you should consider the following...

Pacesetter Longtube Headers and a Texas Speed Off Road Y-pipe with a Flowmaster Style Merge. Great Combo at an awesome price and from a Sponsor.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=182&catid=8

If money is no object then I suggest a set of Stainless Steel American Racing Headers Longtubes and ORY (which also has a great flowing merge) Combo...

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2348

...also from a Sponsor.

You'll notice the links take you to the Non-emissions/Race Versions of each respective brand. I went with emissions-ready headers thinking I wouldn't ever have any reason to delete these systems. Wrong. I have since removed the EGR from my car (when I installed my LS6 Intake) and am planning to delete the A.I.R. System in the future as well. This leaves me with ports in my headers that I have to block-off. Long-story-short, I should have gone with the Race Style LTs and been done with it. I recommend you do the same.

When adding LTs and an Aftermarket Y-pipe, most remove the Rear O2 Sensors. (The Rear O2's job is to simply monitor Temperature of the Cats. With an ORY there are no cats to be monitored, thus making them unnecessary.) This results in the PCM throwing a code and the eventual SES light. While this code won't hinder performance, the best way to eliminate it would be to purchase an Mail-Order-Tune.

Last edited by Mumbles; 01-23-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

I went with the coated LT's and 3 inch X-pipe into slp LM2's and i have no rasp in mine.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I know you mentioned that Price isn't a deciding factor, but if you're looking to stay within a certain budget you should consider the following...

Pacesetter Longtube Headers and a Texas Speed Off Road Y-pipe with a Flowmaster Style Merge. Great Combo at an awesome price and from a Sponsor.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=182&catid=8

If money is no object then I suggest a set of Stainless Steel American Racing Headers Longtubes and ORY (which also has a great flowing merge) Combo...

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2348

...also from a Sponsor.

You'll notice the links take you to the Non-emissions/Race Versions of each respective brand. I went with emissions-ready headers thinking I wouldn't ever have any reason to delete these systems. Wrong. I have since removed the EGR from my car (when I installed my LS6 Intake) and am planning to delete the A.I.R. System in the future as well. This leaves me with ports in my headers that I have to block-off. Long-story-short, I should have gone with the Race Style LTs and been done with it. I recommend you do the same.

When adding LTs and an Aftermarket Y-pipe, most remove the Rear O2 Sensors. (The Rear O2's job is to simply monitor Temperature of the Cats. With an ORY there are no cats to be monitored, thus making them unnecessary.) This results in the PCM throwing a code and the eventual SES light. While this code won't hinder performance, the best way to eliminate it would be to purchase an Mail-Order-Tune.
That sounds about right..I already have a flowmaster 80 series on my stock exhaust...and it sounds just perfect .so I was going to get mid-length pacesetters with tsp/flowmaster merge and just keep the stock I pipe..just looking for alittle more performance and a tad more agressive sound..I just want to GET IT from red light to red light...probably never take it to the strip