Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DOHC heads on LSx from a Nissan Titan...read

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
Not necessarily... the head now has twice as many ports and not much room for them since the existing pushrods take up that room...

i.e. even with each pushrod operating two valves, the 4 ports take up all the room where the pushrods would be passing thru the head.
No. There would still be only one intake port and one exhaust port. The ports would just be as wide as possible and one pushrod in the stock location would operate one intake rocker shaped like a Y (the pushrod at the bottom and then 2 valves at the top). The exhaust side is a bit more complex since there has to be a secondary pushrod running horizontal across the top of the head to operate the exhaust rocker.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

2 rockers per pushrod already done as well. aero did it. Heads flow over 400cfm i think. I think its aero.com or aero engineering.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:25 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Yes, and that's a 4 valve / cylinder head. There was a GM copyright a while ago for a 3 valve per cylinder head that used a Yd intake rocker.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

totally sweet useless idea.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I read the whole thread, noone mentioned the Mercedes 6.2L. It's making 500 HP, with 4 VPC, but with less duration and less lift than the LM7 cam.
4 VPC is the way to get N/A power with emissiond-friendly cams, and Ferrari is up to 5 VPC. 3 intake, 2 exhaust.
With variable-length intake manifolds and IMRC, there's the potential for huge improvements in low-rpm torque, for non-emissions applications. But with turbodiesel tech being where it's at, this is pointless.
Sure, you can put MAST Black Label heads on your LS3 and run with the Mercedes, but the Mercedes will reach 700 HP N/A, with no overlap. In our world, that's about a 228 / 226 - 116. Will the MAST LS3 do it with that stick? I doubt it.
And for that money. I'd rather buy a salvaged Mercedes 6.2, have the heads and manifolds Extrude-Honed, and call it good.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

There mercedes can make all the power it wants, but good luck trying to make it last and survive the durability that ls owners will throw at it. Not saying its not a nice car. Mercedes like to throw technology in there cars and worry about tweaking it later.

ferrari is talking about releasing electronic controlled valves. If we are really going to talk about ultimate set up. How about very cam you want with ultimate adjustability. You can run what ever lift,duration,overlap you want. However no one will ever give a crap if its not reliable. It may be the future. I be it frees up a lot off HP not turning cams moving p-rods of compressing valve springs. But for now ill keep squeezing my springs.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nodrok
There mercedes can make all the power it wants, but good luck trying to make it last and survive the durability that ls owners will throw at it. Not saying its not a nice car. Mercedes like to throw technology in there cars and worry about tweaking it later.

ferrari is talking about releasing electronic controlled valves. If we are really going to talk about ultimate set up. How about very cam you want with ultimate adjustability. You can run what ever lift,duration,overlap you want. However no one will ever give a crap if its not reliable. It may be the future. I be it frees up a lot off HP not turning cams moving p-rods of compressing valve springs. But for now ill keep squeezing my springs.
Ferrari's not the first. I read about this about 15 years ago, I think it was in Popular Hot Rodding.
But at the time, it was only good to 2500 or 3000 rpm, as I recall. Fine for diesels rpm wise, but not able to close the intake valves against the turbo boost, let alone open the exhaust valves.
But that was at least a dozen years ago, surely there's been improvements since then.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

why would you buy an awesome pushrod LS motor and then put crap DOHC heads on it...what are we ford?
Old 01-29-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Veteran

dare to be bold. its how we get cool new stuff.

isnt the toyota iforce V8 is closer to the LS series than the nissan stuff, i think.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by nodrok

springless engines has been talked about longer than ive been on this site..
Old 01-30-2011, 07:53 AM
TECH Regular

I only bring up because my buddy a former ferrari tech had mentioned their interest in development. It sounds to me like making it reliable would be nearly impossible. But electronics are getting better and better.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:04 AM
12 Second Club

eventually pushrods will go the way of the dodo bird. LS motors are the last real bastion of pushrod engines in the market. I'm willing to bet the Gen V SBC motors will be DOHC with DI much like the SIDI LNF motor.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

the heart of an engine is the heads/intake. the short block is just the empty space they fill. if you put nissan heads on a lsx engine it no longer has anything to do with lsx. Like said before might as well just use the nissan block.... displacement is displacement.

Also i question if GM will move from a pushrod engine until a redesign of the corvette... there may be trouble fitting a DOHC under the corvettes low hood line. Plus i love seeing a corvette kicking the fancy euro boys *** with dohc engines with vvtivteckh with lowly pushrods and "leaf spring" suspension... hahaha

Hopefully gen 5 will lead to direct injection with a bigger bore engine that will use ls7 heads only maybe on a smaller displacement. There is no need for DOHC when a ls7 head can easily rev out to 7000 rpm and flow ridiculous amounts of air. I cant imagine a LS7(even with titanium valves) head costing more to make then a 32v head and the r/d is already done. Might as well make it mainstream and make it easy for us to make a ton of power!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:35 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scatillac
If you must have 4-cams, why not just get one of the Corvette/Mercury Marine motors? At least it's partially Chevy.
There isn't ANYTHING Chevy about the LT5 motor. British design, Mercury Marine built. The only thing Chevy about that engine is the car they put it in. Great engine with tons of potential though, just way too damn expensive to modify.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:42 AM

it picked up 21 horses with the same cam profile and can rev up to 7500 with no floating i wouldnt do it but it is interesting ( oh yea that was with a sohc too)
Old 04-05-2011, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Isolde
Ferrari's not the first. I read about this about 15 years ago, I think it was in Popular Hot Rodding.
But at the time, it was only good to 2500 or 3000 rpm, as I recall. Fine for diesels rpm wise, but not able to close the intake valves against the turbo boost, let alone open the exhaust valves.
But that was at least a dozen years ago, surely there's been improvements since then.
I remember that too, back when there was talk of going to a 42 VDC electrical system. Never happened.

The problem with the electronic valvetrains were no solenoids could come close to hanging with that kind of cycling (100 times per second at 6k rpms). Seems like R&D was dropped shortly after.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Resurrecting this thread because thread because I would love to hear thoughts on the Ford Mod motors getting banned from Engine Masters and the explanation.

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1402-bangin-gears/

I'm taking a beating from the Ford lovers who troll the LSX Swap Facebook page.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

I once welded 2 SBC 350's together and bolted split Cummins diesel heads to it with a totally bad *** fabricated intake manifold I made from my old chicken coop and 7 carbs. It was soooo cool.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Well there was some incorrect assumptions made about the future of pushrods in this thread eh....
The following users liked this post:
99 Black Bird T/A (05-03-2020)

Quick Reply: DOHC heads on LSx from a Nissan Titan...read