Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final Questions... Please take a minute.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Final Questions... Please take a minute.

2004 Pontiac GTO
Stock except K&N CAI & MSD wires

Have a set of (243) 03 Z06 heads w/8k original miles

Looking at comp cams kit #54050 with beehive springs, hardened/chromoly pushrods, retainers etc... on this kit will they give me an option on the pushrod length, I believe I will need to go with the 7.400"s?

Going with ARP headbolts

I have read both needed and not needed on the high performance oil pump. I plan on drilling out the lifter tray holes but do I really need to upgrade the oil pump?

Stock 2004 GTO injectors are 28lbs, Stock 05-06 GTO's are 32lbs. Will I need to upgrade? If so would stock 05-06 injectors be adequate?

Car has 94k miles, read about LS2 timing chain, but it looks as if a stock LS2 is a double roller. Is this a direct fit and will there be any clearance issues with the stock LS1 timing cover?

On the camshaft I have posted before, I am looking for a fast paced/hitting cam without alot of lumpiness/loping. I want to kind of remain a sleeper sounding and get stockish mileage. I like the Lingenfelter GT2-3 by comp, but maybe there is a cam I can use with this setup to gain a little more since I probably will never go further than complete bolt ons and stay n/a. I hope I can turn the rpms up to around 7k. I plan on calling Texas Speed asap on monday since they didn't answer my call 5 mins after they closed today.

I will be getting the car dyno tuned after the install.
I will be happy if with the cam/head swap and a tune I get 400~ish rwhp & 390~ish rwtq... Is it possible lol?

Thank you guys on here so much, many of you have been very helpful already.

Last edited by usmonaro; 01-29-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by usmonaro
2004 Pontiac GTO
Stock except K&N CAI & MSD wires

Have a set of (243) 03 Z06 heads w/8k original miles

Looking at comp cams kit #54050 with beehive springs, hardened/chromoly pushrods, retainers etc... on this kit will they give me an option on the pushrod length, I believe I will need to go with the 7.400"s?

Going with ARP headbolts

I have read both needed and not needed on the high performance oil pump. I plan on drilling out the lifter tray holes but do I really need to upgrade the oil pump?

Stock 2004 GTO injectors are 28lbs, Stock 05-06 GTO's are 32lbs. Will I need to upgrade? If so would stock 05-06 injectors be adequate?

Car has 94k miles, read about LS2 timing chain, but it looks as if a stock LS2 is a double roller. Is this a direct fit and will there be any clearance issues with the stock LS1 timing cover?

On the camshaft I have posted before, I am looking for a fast paced/hitting cam without alot of lumpiness/loping. I want to kind of remain a sleeper sounding and get stockish mileage. I like the Lingenfelter GT2-3 by comp, but maybe there is a cam I can use with this setup to gain a little more since I probably will never go further than complete bolt ons and stay n/a. I hope I can turn the rpms up to around 7k. I plan on calling Texas Speed asap on monday since they didn't answer my call 5 mins after they closed today.

I will be getting the car dyno tuned after the install.
I will be happy if with the cam/head swap and a tune I get 400~ish rwhp & 390~ish rwtq... Is it possible lol?

Thank you guys on here so much, many of you have been very helpful already.
they will give you an option on the pushrod length, if the kit comes with pushrods 7.400 is stock i would check first before ordering just to be safe the checker is like only 20 bucks....IMO i wouldnt worry bout drilling out the lifter tray holes BUT yes get a ls6 ported oil pump for sure it does make a difference i would got with 36lb injectors an no the ls2 is not a double roller its just like the ls1 only thicker an stongerIMO i would at least get a mild cam dont go to small u will regret it
Old 01-29-2011, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would leave your stock injectors i bet they will be fine.

Ported oil pump? its for your peace of mind, i bet you will be just fine without one.

For a cam i would look into a stealth2 or the eps 222/226 113 he can bump it up to 115 lsa if you want a stockish idle but your heavier gto might like the lower lsa.

I also would have your heads milled .30 that will help your gas mileage and power. Honestly with the smaller cam and the milled heads you should increase your gas mileage and be around 410rwhp with headers and good exhaust. Keep the stock exhaust and it will be about 370ish horsepower. If you do keep the stock exhaust i would get the cheatr v3 camshaft.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:51 AM
TECH Resident

quick hijack and im sorry for it but school me here a little. how will milling the heads (raising compression) gain you gas mileage. Not trying to be rude I really am curious. Ive never associated the two together. thanks
Old 01-29-2011, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello , raising compression will burn the same amount of air/fuel charge with more bang but the differnce is maybe 3-5% . The LS2 timing chain does have thicker links and is single roller . I just bought 1 from Rock Auto for $28.00 (Cloyes) timing set . Good luck

Search this Thread