Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter Damage

Old 01-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lifter Damage

PICS OF CAM ON PAGE 3

Ok guys I pulled the heads and found one lifter turned in the tray and the other slightly cocked in the tray. This is in a 2002 z06 with a ms4 with around 8k on it. As I have yet to jack the car up and drain the oil I have not seen any metal shavings anywhere. All cylinder walls and pistons look fine save for some buildup which I believe looks normal. My question is..would I be ok in just dropping my ls7 lifters in and rock n roll with it. Or what...here are the pics.

Here are the pics. And yes dont even ask why there are two different lifters. The heads were pulled by a VERY WELL KNOWN SHOP when the cam was installed and new lifters dropped installed. You have no IDEA how pissed I was when I saw that. But ***** it.
Attached Thumbnails Lifter Damage-photo11.jpg   Lifter Damage-photo22.jpg   Lifter Damage-photo33.jpg   Lifter Damage-photo44.jpg   Lifter Damage-photo55.jpg  

Last edited by brewerz28; 01-31-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Oops must have done something wrong. Let me know if you cant just right click and see them in a new window or whatever.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well the right click did not work for me.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

ok..I'll try and fix it.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

There ya go.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Yep its fixed. Now, why only 2 kinds of lifters? There is room to put 16 different lifters.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Darkman
Yep its fixed. Now, why only 2 kinds of lifters? There is room to put 16 different lifters.
A glass full kinda guy huh? lol
Old 01-29-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

new lifters, change oil and your good i would say
Old 01-29-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

i assume the problem was worn lifter trays. Can you tell what the cam lobes look like?
Old 01-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BennyB
new lifters, change oil and your good i would say
rock n roll..

if **** really hits the fan.. I have a ls2 out of a 05 vette sitting in the garage. but the car has sat for almost a year because providing for the family came first. Damn responsibilities.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Darkman
i assume the problem was worn lifter trays. Can you tell what the cam lobes look like?
yeah the lobes look good. not new but looks good. I have ls2 trays ready to go in.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Nope you need to pull the cam and inspected the lobes.
You can see damage on the roller its self in the pictures. Is the roller stuck? will it spin? It also could possible be the roller was not hard enough and the cam ate away at it or vise versa.

I guessing the roller would not turn or at least not freely which caused it to want to spin.

Also for the guys I know are going to jump on here and say its the lifter trays, it not them trust me. Once the lifters are down on the cam with the pushrods on them they do not come back up in the tray.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

I agree with BennyB, put in some new lifters and change the oil (with filter). I would also change the oil & filter again relatively soon.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z/YA
Nope you need to pull the cam and inspected the lobes.
You can see damage on the roller its self in the pictures. Is the roller stuck? will it spin? It also could possible be the roller was not hard enough and the cam ate away at it or vise versa.

I guessing the roller would not turn or at least not freely which caused it to want to spin.

Also for the guys I know are going to jump on here and say its the lifter trays, it not them trust me. Once the lifters are down on the cam with the pushrods on them they do not come back up in the tray.
nope..the rollers turn freely. no hesitation or stoppage. I didnt say they came up in the tray. They were both slightly turned. in the tray. I was going to pull the cam but just dont have the time hence the reason for asking. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

Any damage like that on the lifters and I doubt the cam is in good shape. Sometimes comp can do a regrind over the old base to save it, but it will reduce the base circle a little. I had them do one a few years ago, but went from a 232 236 xe to a 228 232 xer.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brewerz28
nope..the rollers turn freely. no hesitation or stoppage. I didnt say they came up in the tray. They were both slightly turned. in the tray. I was going to pull the cam but just dont have the time hence the reason for asking. Thanks for the input.
If it was my car or a customers I would diffently pull the cam and inspect it.

You already see that whoever did it did not care enough and put two different lifters in the motor.
Since you have the heads off now so you might as well tear the balancer off and cover and slide the cam out. You are looking at a hour tops not much more work.

Also I was not meaning you thought they came up in the tray I was meaning for the guys who are going to jump on and say "worn lifter trays" because I knew it was coming lol.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

If it was my car or a customers I would diffently pull the cam and inspect it.

You already see that whoever did it did not care enough and put two different lifters in the motor.
Since you have the heads off now so you might as well tear the balancer off and cover and slide the cam out. You are looking at a hour tops not much more work.

Also I was not meaning you thought they came up in the tray I was meaning for the guys who are going to jump on and say "worn lifter trays" because I knew it was coming lol.
I definently agree with ya bud. I would do the same also if I wasnt so damn strapped for time. Yeah I've done a **** load of cam swaps over the years. I've been in this game for ten years. Im not scared or one unable"mechanically wise" to do the job. Its just time bud. I've owned a 99z28, 2002 ws6 my current 2002z06 the wifes G8 GT and a 2006 yukon. I know these motors fairly well I believe. But between my career and 3 yr old..Time is a luxury I do not possess. lol
Old 01-29-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Okay, I am open-minded and willing to learn.

Why do we have lifter trays, link-bars, and keyway lifters?
Old 01-30-2011, 12:38 AM
TECH Resident

Id pull that cam......if its worn out youre gonna be either pulling the heads back off to change lifters and cam again, or youre gonna be putting that ls2 in when metal goes through the motor. for the piece of mind to enjoy the car....pull that cam dude.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bro pull the cam out its obvious the cam is as bad as those lifters most likely. Please don't ruin a good engine. If you got.time to throw in a ls2 you got more then enough time to swap the cam..but if your looking for a reason to slap on the ls2 ill be more then happy to take the ls1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lifter Damage