Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter and spring failure.. Which came first? UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question Lifter and spring failure.. Which came first? UPDATE

So my wife's WS.6 dropped a valve recently (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ow-update.html), and i thought it was due to the 918s. Got the head pulled off, and now im not so sure. Would a spring failure cause this damage to the lifter?

Click on Pics

Spring

Rocker arm. The sides are pushed out somehow. The one on the left is from the failed spring.

Heres what i found when i got the head off:

I found the retainer clip out of the top of the lifter IN the lifter tray, and the cup inside the top of the lifter was cocked to the side, where it is broken out.

Heres a shot of the piston.

Heres the head of the valve. I found the stem in the intake manifold.

All your input is appreciated!!

UPDATE:: Just checked a couple springs, and they were both about 125#s at installed height(1.8"), and over 300# at 1.2".

Last edited by NVR_SPDS; 02-24-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude all I have to say is Im SO SO SO sorry. idk how all that would happen. World war 3 went down inside your engine. good luck with the rebuild
Old 02-02-2011, 04:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure but I would carefully inspect all the other parts to see if you can find something wrong that might indicate where this started. Also test the good springs to see what they have left for stiffness. Check the pushrod cups in the rockers to see if they have signs of impact (pushrod losing contact).

Bent pushrod may have caused the lifter failure, which may have bent due to float. I think testing the springs will be a key piece of information.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:15 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me guess...Hardened pushrods?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Not sure but I would carefully inspect all the other parts to see if you can find something wrong that might indicate where this started. Also test the good springs to see what they have left for stiffness. Check the pushrod cups in the rockers to see if they have signs of impact (pushrod losing contact).

Bent pushrod may have caused the lifter failure, which may have bent due to float. I think testing the springs will be a key piece of information.
Ill get that info ASAP. So far, the pushrods dont look bent, but i will put them in a lathe at work and check em out. Ill also get some spring pressures, and post them up..

Originally Posted by O2Form
Let me guess...Hardened pushrods?
Yup, Comp Cams PRs.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 AM
TECH Regular

The spring most likely broke first, causing the valve to hang open and get smacked by the piston. When the piston jammed the valve closed it bottomed out the PR in the lifter cup and broke the lifter.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Banned

I personally woooood never run a hardened pushrod unless i was having trouble bending them. When things go wrong hardened push rods can cause a mess.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:31 AM
12 Second Club

what size cam you running?
Old 02-06-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Spring broke.

Nothing wrong with hardned PR. Used them for years on Ford stuff the problem is using single springs. All heck breaks loose when one fails not a fault of the PR

Tim
Old 02-09-2011, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cowboysfan
what size cam you running?
231/237, at a little under .600 lift, with a 112LSA
Old 02-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Banned

Gm used the push rods they did for good reason.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Gm used the push rods they did for good reason.
It can be argued that GM used the PR's they did because PR flex is not an issue with OEM spring pressure.....The stock setup doesn't NEED anything stronger (the REASON)

But when you go with a big cam that requires a high spring rate for valvetrain control the stockers flex and actually CAUSE valvetrain instability and weird harmonics..

If you just run a properly matched setup and change the springs when you should hardened PR's are great. I have the slightly larger 3/8" PR's in my motor and TEA Golds with over 430lbs. (IIRC) open pressure so a stock PR wouldn't fare too well for me....
Old 02-09-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im going to guess that the spring broke first.. Not likely that the lifter busted like that on its own without something else catastrophic happening first.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

What did the inner "arm pit" of the rocker look like? My girlfriends '68 vette did this with a built up 355. The rocker arm came down on the upper spring retainer which broke, than the spring broke. Took the head off and it looked exactly like your pics. Her's had domed pistons though. Wasn't very domed after that. Sorry to see that.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Banned

That lifter wooood have never broken using the stock pushrods.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Launching!

I personally woooood never run a hardened pushrod unless i was having trouble bending them. When things go wrong hardened push rods can cause a mess.
That lifter wooood have never broken using the stock pushrods.
What? You wouldn't replace a pushrod unless your were bending them? Do you think hardend pushrods are a gimmick?

OEM pushrods are cheap and fit the bill for low spring rates, end of story.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Banned

Hardened pushrods are for breaking other things...i'd rather bend pushrods then do the damage above. You do what you want, i'm just telling you like it is.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:33 AM
TECH Addict

What do you think the hardening of pushrods is for?

Some of the issues with valve train is not using a strong enough push rod. Under load and RPM they turn into a wet noodle. This is the second biggest reason guys have issues. You want the bigest dia with a thick wall for best performance as the spring pressure and ramp speed goes up.

If this is done correctly you should never have to worrey about breaking stuff.

Tim
Old 02-10-2011, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

Everyone is quick to blame the spring so I'll be the one to look at it from other side of the pushrod. People have found the lifter clips stuck to the drain plug and got a lucky break. What if your lifter lost it's clip allowing the cup to twist from under the pushrod. This could break the top of the lifter and take the tray out with it. Now the pushrod falls out of the rocker cup and catches the side of the rocker when it opens again. This could coil bind and break the spring which would now allow the valve to drop.

It's easy to quickly blame the spring as they got such a bad rep in the years past with bad batches and high failure rates. But I think that has been resolved and what has happened here is not a spring failure issue(at least not directly).
Old 02-10-2011, 09:14 AM
10 Second Club

Hardened pushrods are for breaking other things...i'd rather bend pushrods then do the damage above. You do what you want, i'm just telling you like it is.
And bent stock pushrods are for wearing through intake runners. Ask any GM mechanic how many bent or broken stock pushrods he has replaced.

Quick Reply: Lifter and spring failure.. Which came first? UPDATE