Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

am I doing something wrong? cam swap help..

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default am I doing something wrong? cam swap help..

I've got Tim's valve spring tool. Trying to change springs, but when I compress it down it pushes the spring towards the valve, so it's impossible to slip the lock into place then because there's no room. I've been trying to get the same spring on for an hour now, what am I not seeing here?
Old 02-04-2011, 02:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

i just did this last weekend. if the valve goes down with the spring while trying to remove the springs just tap on the retainer a couple times to break them loose. if its going down while trying to put a spring on then make sure the retainer is centered or itll catch the valve. the valve would sometimes fall since i just used the tdc method. i just tried to pick it back up with a magnet or screwdriver if it was kinda stuck
Old 02-04-2011, 06:53 AM
Launching!

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Changing springs using the TDC method takes a little finness. Make sure that you've rotated the crank the best that you can to push the valve as high as high as it can get. If you still need to get the valvehigher, use a pen magnet to lift the valve. I also put assembly lube inside the lock so that it would stick to the valve.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

I just got a compression tester hose and pul a air line connector on it to hook constant air up to the cylinder through the spark plug hole to hold the valve up as high as possible, when putting new spring on you def have to make sure the retainer isnt catching the lip on the valve, but the method I did was compress the spring as much as possible aside from the car and then applied it over the valve which usually left plent of room for the lock to go in place! Its def a nightmare sometimes lol!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

A verry helpfull piece of info is to smack all of the tops of the springs on the edge to loosen the keepers. The keepers and spring retainers like to stick.

Good luck.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by custm2500
A verry helpfull piece of info is to smack all of the tops of the springs on the edge to loosen the keepers. The keepers and spring retainers like to stick.

Good luck.
DEF TRUE!!!!! I HAD TO TAP ALL OF MINE PRETTY GOOD!
Old 02-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by black2000ss
I've got Tim's valve spring tool. Trying to change springs, but when I compress it down it pushes the spring towards the valve, so it's impossible to slip the lock into place then because there's no room. I've been trying to get the same spring on for an hour now, what am I not seeing here?
I had this same problem when using Tim's tool, seems that it was just a hair too short to sit with the spring retainer fully seated, and when you went to compress the spring would "slip" into that groove in the tool, thus misaligning it. You really need to fidget with it and the spring as you decompress the spring. I had the heads off when I tried this (wrong tool for that, I know now) so it was a bit easier to get my fingers in there to keep the spring lined up.

Basically, whatever side the valve seems to be going towards as you compress, you decompress and readjust until you get it perfect. I only got it perfect on 2 springs, the rest I would get close enough to sit the head up and tap lightly on the valve while wiggling the spring to get it past that point. There are little nicks (like barely visible) in my valve stem but nothing I'm too worried about.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

I used Tims Tool too. Like posted earlier, just tapped on mine with a small rubber mallet and all was good!