Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mileage V.S. H/C swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mileage V.S. H/C swap

I have a 99 LS1 w/ 122,000 miles, and am thinking about doing H/C, intake and bolt ons, is the mileage to high to be making more power?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

From what I've read if you have someone do a compression test, it isn't burning oil, and the motor seems to work fine you're A-Okay as long as it's nothing too crazy. Make sure to get a GOOD tune on it as well.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

when doing a heads and cam swap on a high mileage car (like i am with 130,000+ miles) then you need to replace other parts that a low mileage car does not necessarily need to replace. like you should replace the following things when doing your heads and cam

Lifters
Pushrods
Oil pump
Water pump
timing chain!!!!!! (this is a big one, if you dont do this you are an idiot)
valve springs (of coarse)

those are the main things, but i have seen motors with over 200k on the clock with heads and cam making plenty of health power to the wheels, running 10's even. it is all about the fluid changes, do them! but like said above, do a compression test first, and when you pull the head be sure to clean the cylinder walls and piston tops of all carbon deposits for a good piece of mind, good luck with your swap, i am in the mists of mine!
Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Wouldn't you want to replace the lifters and pushrods on a H/C swap anyways? Seems a bit foolish not to put as much new stuff in the top end as possible while you have it torn down. I think having all new parts would help with setting up the valvetrain geometry.

I did not know swapping out the fluid pumps should be considered. What's the purpose of replacing those if they're still in good shape? Do the H/C put more stress on the older pumps?

My last question is about the timing chain. Would he want to replace it with an OEM chain or upgrade to a double, etc? I've also heard talk about having to install a new chain damper with the double chains.

I don't mean to ask his questions for him, but I'm going to do a H/C on my LS1. It's ~106k, but I'm sure I'll peg 120k-130k by the time I get to it. I probably won't personally be doing it, either, but I want to make sure whoever does it knows what they're talking about before I let them touch my car.