Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wierd engine noise when warm.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wierd engine noise when warm.

Ive read alot of articles about the different engine noises associated with the ls1 bent rod engine knock, the diesel sound on startup. Mine is a bit different, i can only hear it inside the car at idle warmed up in Drive. if it put it in neutral or park it goes away. i also have fluctuating oil pressure, will drop to 20PSI at fully warm go upto 40 on half pedal and WOT around 60. the noise almost sound like a thumping coming from the right side of engine, recently switched from 5-30 royal purple to 10-30 royal purple and the sound got a bit louder. any ideas?
Old 02-16-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a little unusual for the oil pressure to drop to 20. Does it have a lot of miles on it?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
It's a little unusual for the oil pressure to drop to 20. Does it have a lot of miles on it?
im at 58k, which i dont think is too high
Old 02-16-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's still just a baby at 56K, but anything is possible.

I guess by the sound, you think it's the motor. Sure it's not drive train related? Maybe check stuff like transmission mount, cross member, motor mounts and maybe take a look at the flex plate. Make sure the exhaust isn't hitting anywhere. IDK...
Old 02-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
It's still just a baby at 56K, but anything is possible.

I guess by the sound, you think it's the motor. Sure it's not drive train related? Maybe check stuff like transmission mount, cross member, motor mounts and maybe take a look at the flex plate. Make sure the exhaust isn't hitting anywhere. IDK...

yeah my dad and i looked at it today for a while, it will not make the noise in N or P when the engine rps are around 800. In drive and 1-2-3 you can hear the noise, ive had a thumping noise coming from the front right side of the car, possibly a ball joint or something, you cant hear this noise at all once the motor is past idle RPM,600-700 RPM. this is making my head hurt

Quick Reply: wierd engine noise when warm.