Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TEA vs the rest

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TEA vs the rest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been looking at different heads for years, and have tried 4 different heads myself.
I have never seen numbers on the exhaust side as high or even close to what TEA offers.
I see they flow their heads through a pipe.
What difference does this make?
Give me a example of the differences.
Just heads
With a pipe

I realize every company that produces a good head on LS1tech is in the same range on the intake side.
I see that all these companys are close on the exhaust as well except TEA.
I am in no way saying their numbers are false as I have seen nothing but happy customers using their heads.
I also know that TEA does a hand port for the exhaust side for the N20 cars.
Either way their heads still way outflow everyone else's on the exhaust side.
Thanks
Old 02-13-2004, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

TEA ports heads very nicely. They use a different flow bench so the numbers are different...they are not lying about the numbers, just a different bench.
TEA will offer a competition hand port as will others and they do have a special design they use for N2O, again as do some others. There is a "subtraction formula" to make up for different benches, but perhaps someone who has a handle on that better can chime in. You can't argue the fact they have heads that FLOW no matter how you look at it, but take EVERYONES numbers with a grain of salt. Look to see whos heads are performing and you'll likely come down to only a few choices, TEA being one of them.
Your desire for with pipe vs. without pipe only would help if you were comparing numbers on the same make and model bench.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:21 PM
Banned

Thanks for the reply however I am already fimilar with everything you just said.
Flow benches are like dyno's, unless you have everyone on the same dyno who know's if one car really makes more power than the other.
Everyone knows these heads are in the top 4-5 as far as best heads go. It dosen't matter who you ask they will normally either reply "the best" or "one of the best" heads on the market.
What seems weird to me is that if their numbers were high because their bench was high then why aren't their intake numbers off the chart as well?

"Your desire for with pipe vs. without pipe only would help if you were comparing numbers on the same make and model bench"

This is exactly what I am asking. If you took a head from X company and flowed it on a bench and it flowed Y amount then added the pipe and flowed it again on the same bench how much would the numbers change?

I am not real big on flow vs flow. I am more interested in Track times then dyno's.
But if you really think about it it's all the same.
Ponder on this for a minute
No one likes to compair flow number's to see who's heads are the best. This is really the only way we have to compair them unless you get to see dyno numbers and track times. Most people are like "great they flow 300 CFM's now lets see your dyno numbers." Then come the dyno numbers and they are great. Now you have most saying lets see some track times and others praising you because you just made a great number of ponies on a different dyno then everyone else.
Then you go to the track and run a 10.5 and everyone is like "WOW those heads are great" But they dont take in the fact that the alitude is different as well as the temp and wind. It all is the same if you think about it.
Mr. A's flow bench says his heads flow 300 while Mr. B's say his flow 310
Mr A's heads dyno 480 with the same setup as Mr B's but Mr B's dyno says 500
Mr A's car runs 10.8 in 100 degree Fl weather while Mr B's runs 10.50 in 58 degree Ohio weather.
One day Mr A meets Mr B and beets him by 2 tenths head up.
Weird how this all can play out.

One more thing WTF am I typing???
Its time for bed.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ'sTA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been looking at different heads for years, and have tried 4 different heads myself.
I have never seen numbers on the exhaust side as high or even close to what TEA offers.
I see they flow their heads through a pipe.
What difference does this make?
Give me a example of the differences.
Just heads
I would put the difference at somewhere around 10%. My flowbench does not read different from anyone elses. Our exhaust ports are the best we have seen, the best Thunder has seen and Terry @ PP was quoted as saying the best he has seen. The 5.3 Stg 1.5 head should flow 260-270 with a pipe and 230-240 with out a pipe, but numbers without a pipe are not the relevent #, with a pipe is the most relevent #. Everyone needs to rate their exhaust flow with a pipe.

Our new N2O exhaust port flows 280 @ .600" with a pipe, it has flowed 270 @ .500" and 240 @ .400", this is available only on 6.0L and LS6 heads. To put this into perspective we recently flowed a LPE Stg 2 head that flowed 267 intake 220 exhaust, so our exhaust outflows their intake, I thought this example might make it more real for ya. Not a happy flow bench, not "different" flow numbers, just killer flowing exhaust ports. BTW, I used our 5.3 Stg 1.5 heads to run 9.80's on the spray, the same head everyone else gets, no special hand finishing, no tricks, no bull. Do you have interest in a N2O head?
Old 02-14-2004, 12:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"My flowbench does not read different from anyone elses"
Sorry if I was incorrect with my assessment that benchs flowed differently.
J
Old 02-14-2004, 12:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jammer
"My flowbench does not read different from anyone elses"
Sorry if I was incorrect with my assessment that benchs flowed differently.
J
Thats cool, we all know that their may be a few cfm difference from one bench to the other. Most differences occur in fixturing, entries used, exists used, test depression, etc. There's this north eastern United States thing that says my flowbench is 30 cfm high, and wanted to make sure everyone understood this is not the case. Bad rumors spread far faster then good info. So far the only head we have ever flowed that outflowed our 1.5 head or better was a CNC Cyl Head LS6 head that flowed 317, but their 5.7 Stg 2 flowed like 275, so go figure. And we have never flowed a single exhaust port from anyone that outflowed our 5.3 Stg 1.5 or better head, especially our N2O 6.0L/LS6 port, I think the most we have seen from anyone is around 250 cfm with a pipe. I have included others flow numbers not as flame bait, but as a comparison of my heads on my bench vs some others. Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:56 AM
Banned

I was hoping Brian would read this post.
Like I said I in no way was trying to bash anything of your, just wondering how you get numbers so much better than the rest.
Hell bashing TEA or AS on this site would be the same as shooting yourself in the foot.
It's great to see the competion in head porting. It only gives us as consumers more choices with better products, and keeps LSx cars ahead of the curve.
I have read many of your post and even did a scaerch under Brian Tooley before I posted to see if this issue had already been discussed.
Thanks for the info.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:43 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

JZ, my #'s are in my sig with a small cam (in today's standards), ZERO tricks, driven everyday, through an 8.8 rear end with 4:10's. I'm planning on making between 465-480 rwhp in a couple of weeks after I make a couple of tweaks with these very same TEA cylinder heads.....

Go with Brian, he'll do ya right and stand completely behind his work

josh
Old 02-14-2004, 06:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

I strongly suspect TEA develops the exhaust port design to work with the pipe for max flow. This is a good thing. IMO

Just because a port may flow well without a pipe doesn't mean it's always optimised to work at it's best with a pipe. The pipe more closely simulates the cars likely exhaust system ie headers...or at least the first critical part of the exhaust system.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
JZ,...

Go with Brian, he'll do ya right and stand completely behind his work

josh
That is completely true. I've had dealing with Brian for almost two years and know from first hand experience he is honest, honorable and does the right thing. You won't find a better sponsor to work with and I've bought stuff from a LOT of sponsors.