Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice on rotating assembly

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 05:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on rotating assembly

So I need some advise on my selection for parts I chose. Its a little over kill for now but I have to rebuild so I'd rather buy some stronger parts. Car is mostly street driven goes to the track 2-3 times a year and I plan on doing a rearmont Turbo at some point. My plan is to use a stock crank and block but this depends on what my machine shop says the shortblock is a 98.
Here's what I wanna use for pistons
http://sdparts.com/details/mahle-motorsport/ls1314905i16
And rods
http://sdparts.com/details/scat-crankshafts/26125716

I plan on only spinning as high as 6200rpm and rwhp around 500. These seem like a good way to go?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, those parts would be fine. Everybody thinks you "need" H-beam rods nowadays, but truthfully, the I-Beams are lighter and comparable in strength. I went with the SCAT H-beams only because I got a killer deal, but I was planning on the I-Beams as well. If you're budget can handle it, the SCAT 4" crankshaft isn't all that expensive and then you'd have a 383. Lots more torque.....
Old 02-20-2011, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally would go with a wiseco piston set, their quality and strength are second to none. when I got mine for my stroker My machinist said that the piston set weighed in and measured PERFECT of each other. As for rods, I was looking at the scat rods when I did mine, I was talked out of them (by a sponsor) siting quality issues, I ended up going with the compstars, and once again when they were being weighed for balancing they were perfect on the weight match. This is just my opinion and experience, I am sure you will have others in every direction. Keep in mind there is no such thing as overkill,, when it comes to engine internals,,its better to have them and not need them-----than to need them and not have them.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replays I was looking at the wiescos and they are an option as for the rods I'd probly stick to the I beams. This needs to be somewhat super low budget rebuild. At the moment I'm probly looking at $1500 to rebuild my short block. As long as the dimensional stuff I chose I correct I should be good
thanks

Quick Reply: need advice on rotating assembly