Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure/flow problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure/flow problems

The car is an 00 C5, and I just got done putting a low mile (50k) motor in place of a blown-up one. The motor is a heads and cam motor that had no prior problems and would generally run about 40lbs of oil pressure at a warm idle. Before I put it into this car I put ARP rod bolts in. Initially starting the car it had no pressure and a run time of about 45 seconds. I pulled the passenger side valve cover off to see if any oil was coming to the upper end of the motor. I proceeded to start the engine again and the pressure picked up to about 35-40lbs. Then it was fluctuating between 25 and 30lbs and not picking up with slow revs, and it had nothing in the top end with a run time of about 1 to 2 minutes. Any ideas to what the problem is?
Old 02-20-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may have messed up during the install process when putting in the new rodbolts and caused damage to the bearings. That would be my bet.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

I followed the instructions very carefully, and did the torque process 3 times like it calls for and one at a time. Also I was using my buddies brand new snap-on torque wrench that had only been used once prior to me. Also I thought that oil pressure was fed off the cam bearings? Not the Crankshaft.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil is also fed thru a long galley that runs along the drivers side of the block, that feeds the mains, which in turn feeds the rods. I am going to agree with the above poster, If you know nothing was wrong with the engine before you put it in, and you swapped rod bolts and now have a problem I believe it is highly probable you disturbed the bearings oil clearance values................This is exactly why I say swapping rod bolts in the car Is A Bad Idea, every time. We can go into long discussions on retorqing causing rod bearing movement and rod dimensions,,but it has been covered in a ton of post on this site. There are guys who have swapped bolts with no problems,, say they are lucky,,,there are also guys who have nothing but problems after, I cringe every time I hear someone swapping rodbolts. Just my two cents.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

What are you suggestions as far as checking to see what the problem is, with out having to do a complete tear down. I have heard of people having issues with the o ring on the pick up tube, does anyone think that i could be losing pressure there, and also does anyone have an idea to why the top end is still getting nothing?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Also Brought the car up to 2000 rpm for about 2 minutes and oil press did not jump up any.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you disturb the oil pump or pickup tube? Like remove it while you were in there? If so, maybe the pickup tube o-ring got screwed up. Common issue with these cars.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

well finally after letting the motor idle for about 3 minutes, lifters finally started pushing oil through the little hole in the rocker.....
Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Steve01SS
Did you disturb the oil pump or pickup tube? Like remove it while you were in there? If so, maybe the pickup tube o-ring got screwed up. Common issue with these cars.

Yes I had the pick-up tube off to remove the windage tray. So now with the top end of the motor getting oil I'm beginning to think that I may have got the wrong o ring..... So going to pull the rack out tomorrow and get a new oil pump on the way to replace the factory one while I'm down there to see if this will cure the problem. Will keep you guys posted, and thanks for all the advice so far...
Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are two different O-rings also, I know when i got my melling pump it had two different ones.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RARON455
There are two different O-rings also, I know when i got my melling pump it had two different ones.
Well I planned on ordering and ls6 one from TSP... I haven't really looked into the melling one. Is yours a stock replacement or like a high volume one, what are your thoughts on it?
Old 02-22-2011, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got the high volume pump and run the lower pressure spring, It is a ton better than stock, very nice pump, and super quality, No need for any porting the internals are already open and smooth.