Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help with Lunati/Morel Linkbar Lifters please...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with Lunati/Morel Linkbar Lifters please...

I'm super frustrated. I had a lifter tray fail and lifter turn sideways and take out my cam. So I bought a new cam and about that time Hinson Supercars started advertising the Lunati linkbar lifters which are made by Morel for sale.

I bought one of the first sets and was told by Hinson they needed .050 preload. I installed them with a set of Stage III 5.3 heads and measured for preload. A couple weeks ago they started to make the dreaded sewing machine noise so I called Lunati directly and was told by two people they actually need .020-.030 preload...****.

So I remeasured and had another set of pushrods made which I installed over the weekend and now the sewing machine sound is worse and my agressive and lopy cam hardly lopes at all. So I called Lunati this morning and the tech guy told me they need .040-.045 preload, and called back a little bit later as my phone was going dead and had to put it on the charger and was told again .020-.030......

I'm getting SO pissed off right now that I'm just shaking as I've now bought two sets of pushrods and now looks as though I'm going to need to purchase a third and I'm just furious. I can't find any contact info or anything online for Morel at all as I'd love ot talk to the people who make them and possibly get the correct preload they need as this is just getting stupid now.

Does anyone know the proper preload?

Last edited by Jonnie Bravo; 02-21-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have mine set at .050 I was told to use this by a sponsor dont remember which one though.I dont believe any less would be a good Idea. BTW I have prc stage 2.5 5.3 heads, with the morel link bar lifters,,and have the sewing machine noise somethin awful, I have done everything in the world to make sure all is correct, checked pushrod length with the tool, and using the bolt turn method. multiple times. kept getting the same As what did when I built the engine. I even bought a set of yella terras to see if it would quiet the engine down. I know mine makes the noise and I know that everything is correct. I just guess its the nature of the beast, I have heard alot of guys with these heads say they have this noise so it makes me wonder..
Old 02-21-2011, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Well I talked to Lunait again this morning and was told .020 on the low side and .050 on the high side...I chose .030. When checking for pre-load the motor was cold and we waited a bit before we checked for pre-load and actually checked it one two different cylinders and both measurements were next to identicle. There were a couple people online who came up with a measurement of 7.30 and my measurement was almost exactly that so I know I should be in the ballpark.

I just got off the phone with Lunati and they were asking me what my seat pressure is and right off hand I'm not sure but I do have Morel springs installed. The guy was saying that if the seat pressure is too high that it could be causing the problem. I've also noticed that my lopy cam really is not loping really either.

This is so frustrating.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Internet ... Bing

Old 02-21-2011, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RARON455
BTW I have prc stage 2.5 5.3 heads, with the morel link bar lifters,,and have the sewing machine noise somethin awful, I have done everything in the world to make sure all is correct, checked pushrod length with the tool
Do you remember what length your pushrods are?

Last edited by Jonnie Bravo; 02-21-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Need some help with Lunati/Morel Linkbar Lifters please...