Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No T-Stat leads to overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No T-Stat leads to overheating

I know this problem has been argued about several times on this forum, most specifically in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-...hermostat.html

I'm working on getting an LS1 from a 2004 GTO installed in a 86 Porsche 951. Because I had to use a CSR T-stat housing for fitment reasons I'm not running a t-stat at the moment. After reading around on this forum it looks like I f*&$%#$ up big time, because most of my coolant is re-circulating in the block. Hence my overheating problems, and inability to purge the air from the system.

I don't have a lot of experience with cooling systems in cars but have taken several years of thermodynamics and fluid dynamics so I know the theory quite well.

My Questions:
  1. I'm not 100% sure what the bypass passage I need to block up looks like. Does anyone have some better pictures, a more detailed description, or a link to a thread I missed? What methods of blocking have people used? I'd rather not have to remove the engine from the car.
  2. Right now I have a small U-bend going from the heater core inlet to outlet, which if any of these ports should I block? I may eventually add a heater.
  3. The Expansion tank on the Porsche is pressurized, but is the highest point on the engine. Can the front steam tube run to that tank?
  4. I have a Griffen 1-26201-X radiator installed, is that large enough?
  5. Of course any general suggestions for my overheating problem, it just sort of steadily climbs. It may start slowing down at around 215*, but at that point I get scared and shut it off anyway.