Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

machining questions

Old 02-22-2011, 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default machining questions

So I have searched and can't find a answer. I have a 98 ls1 block I am going to be rebuilding and one thing I want to do is resurface where the heads bolt to the block I.e. decking but my machinist told me to see if there is a service limit for decking.yes he should have this info but ls motors don't seem to be comon in seattle.does any one know if there is a service limit? His concern is the top ring since this will be a boosted motor and our pistons are out of hole.and lastly what should I be looking at price wise for a bore and hone,cam bearing install,crank turn,hot tank?
Thanks joe
Old 02-23-2011, 04:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stangtrader
So I have searched and can't find a answer. I have a 98 ls1 block I am going to be rebuilding and one thing I want to do is resurface where the heads bolt to the block I.e. decking but my machinist told me to see if there is a service limit for decking.yes he should have this info but ls motors don't seem to be comon in seattle.does any one know if there is a service limit? His concern is the top ring since this will be a boosted motor and our pistons are out of hole.and lastly what should I be looking at price wise for a bore and hone,cam bearing install,crank turn,hot tank?
Thanks joe
Engine Block Cylinder Head Deck Height (Measuring from the Centerline of Crankshaft to the Deck Face) 234.57 - 234.82 mm (9.235 - 9.245 inch)

Hope this helps and pricing always depends on area I dont deal with any local shops because they dont know anything about ls1 I ship my stuff to a shop and its cheaper to do so then my local guys who dont know the ls stuff. Now the specs above are for factory specs dont know about what is needed for boosted application
Old 02-23-2011, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ditto,,If they dont know LS engines dont take it to them, You could be asking for disaster. If he doesnt have access to the deck height spec,, how will he know any of the other critical measurements. when I built my 383 MY machine shop didnt really deal with ls engines much, but he had a book with all the specs. I paid 120 bucks to have my callies crank completely checked, He said it was perfect, And it was except for the reluctor wheel that was dinged, He knew nothing about. Had he known LS engines He would have checked the runout and caught it. And I wouldnt have spent countless hours troubleshooting and then had to remove and disassemble my new engine because a reluctor wheel with more than .020 runout will keep your engine from running. The point being take it to someone who knows these engines.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool thanks for the responses. I am kinda sketch on most places around here I guess I could drive to Portland and have it done
Thanks

Search this Thread