Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shuttering/Lose of Power After H/C?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shuttering/Lose of Power After H/C?

Ok let me first start off with the basic stuff:

car is a 2000 Camaro SS Automatic, 10 bolt (3.42's from a 6 speed) with high mileage (112000)

Car lost compression in cylinder 7 and cylinder 8 looked like it got cleaned up maybe by some antifreeze when we tore the car apart.

Originally the car was stock except for exhaust and ls6 intake. I took her up to around 140 and it drove awesome up to there. Let go of the gas and she purr'ed just fine. Get to a light. Car dies. Hesitating to start. I get her up and running, now she is shaking and a misfire code is flashing. I have hardly any power trying to limp her home (was about 3 blocks away).

Let the car sit for about a month. Started her up and she drove like there was no problems for about 2-3 blocks. Get to a light, BAM misfire clode flashing and now it is hesitating on power. I bring her home.

I speak to my boy who does my work at his shop. He convinces me it is a head problem and lets get a h/c install going. OK.

I get a set of Absolute Speed (hand Ported by Jay himself back in the day). The heads are refreshed, I get a nice cam from EPS and the entire kit, get lifters, lifter trays, fuel injectors (42 pounds) and I send my PCM to Formato for a mail order tune.

Ok we start to tear down the motor. We find 7 cylinder is leaking compression. Ok, we find on cylinder 8 the spark plug looks like it has been tapped (unsure how, it could be someone dropped it before installing it and thats why the prong looks bent? We have really NO clue as to how it happened). Also, cylinder 8 has a washed look to it. Probably some anitfreeze got into there. We checked the head gaskets, didnt see anything OBVIOUS but we found nothing wrong with anything as we pulled the pushrods, the springs ect.

We go ahead and clean up everything and put the heads/cam and accessories back on. Put a underdrive pulley, p/p/ ls6 oil pump, stock water pump, new rear main seal, no bushing's on the output shaft cause that was leaking, new gasket around the oil filter which was leaking. Ok now everything is buttoned up. Turned the key, and BAM BEAUTIFUL. Car hummed like nothing was wrong. (I forgot to mention, when it had the misfire, i thought i heard a slight knock.Something louder than piston slap but less than an all out knock, We were confused). No more noises besides your normal valvetrain noises after a cam install AND the lusterious piston slap ls1's love to sing to you. lol/
We also put a Cirlce D 4000 5C Converter in our stock 4l60e transmission.

I take the car, and I dont beat on it. Nothing over red line lol. No seriously, I really just tapped the gas a few times to see the power but nothing wide open, nothing redlined, nothing sustained for a period of time. Just quick bursts. Maybe 3-4 times. Car sounds and drives like a DREAM. Formato is tuning the car on the Dyno in April. Ok, I can wait.

Today I take the car out. Oil Pressure is usually around 40 pounds at idle, 60-70 under load. Today, it was around 35 idle, 45-50 under load. Now the car has a shake under 2500 RPM's. It is shuttering and the gas pedal is a little hard and you have NO power. BUT!, if you hit the gas a tad harder she wakes up and screams and down the road you go. Let off the gas, idle you start to shake (not hard but enough to notice) and there is NO power when you hit the gas like you normally would when going to accelorate at normal driving. Gas pedal remains hard, car has no power, NO CODES THOUGH! I REPEAT, NOT ONE CODE BEING THROWN THROUGHOUT THIS ENTIRE ORDEAL. I decide to bring the car home immediately. All the way home same deal. Under 2500 rpm's (roughly that number, maybe 2100 or 2600 but around there) the car is not driving right AT ALL. Now at the light. Car begins to shake even harder. Not tooth filling losing shaking but enough to make my exhaust start to really rattle where the next car can hear my exhaust rattles. Same thing, hard pedal, hesitation, get past the hard pedal and the 2500 rpm mark and the car wakes up and screams like an eagle. The converter opens up and away you go when you hit the gas harder than normal. But normal driving, car is VERY hesitant, very shakey.

I am just at my witts end. This is my 4th Fbody. My last one sat in shops for 13 months before they blew my motor and trans trying to put a shift kit and a cam in the car (not the shop I am talking about NOW, this guy is GOOD). I put a 408 in my last camaro after all the months at the shop, and as soon as it was complete, it gave me a small problem. I freaked out and sold it on the spot. I just get so upset when you put big thousands of dollars into your car to fix, and you end up with WORSE problems than before.

Anyone want to take a stab at what the problem could be?

I dont have a dyno around here to throw it on there and really tune her up.

Also, the preliminary tune I got from Formato was really nice but a tad bit rich. Not really eye buring rich in open public, but when running in the shop, you can really smell the fuel.

Help a brother out.

Ill have my guy check it out, but it is Friday and she is down right now. I am just really upset with the end result. Originally, the car felt like a low 11 second car She really got up and went like a raped ape. And it took everything I had NOT TO hit the gas that hard. But she breaks tires whenever/whereever. And sounded like a MEAN OLD BEAST with that custom exhaust.

I have ARH 1 3/4 Long Tubes, ARH 3" Y Pipe, Kooks High Flow Cats, Magnaflow Bullet in the I-Pipe, and GMMG Catback. (without all the cats and the bullet, it was SOO RASPY I WANTED TO PUKE. Now? Perfection!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

No one? To the top
Old 02-26-2011, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my cousin had a ls1 with these symptoms and it was a partially broken ring land on the top land cyl #7. Hope this isnt your case... A leak down test should confirm this.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

I had a mail order tune that ran good for a bit then started getting a hesitation and a dyno tune later made it all better
Old 02-26-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cam sensor?or maybe a loose ground wire.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CNTLSE 1
I had a mail order tune that ran good for a bit then started getting a hesitation and a dyno tune later made it all better
Interesting. Whos mail order tune did you have? If you dont feel comfortable saying it publicly, pm me. Maybe I have the same issue?

I would hope so. !
Old 02-28-2011, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Found the culprit today. O2 Sensor was shot. Replaced both of them. Good to go! Sooooo happy it was something stupid.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FreakishSpeed
Found the culprit today. O2 Sensor was shot. Replaced both of them. Good to go! Sooooo happy it was something stupid.
How did you find out it was shot>?

Quick Reply: Shuttering/Lose of Power After H/C?