Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help With Push Rods

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With Push Rods

Ok so I keep getting the run around on getting a pushrod length tool. so I'm just gonna throw this info out and hopefully someone with some good knowledge or a eager sponsor will lead me in the right direction.

My cam shaft is the following 235/243 .620 .623 on a 113 lsa

my heads
are texas speed ls6 heads prc. i think it's like stage 2.5 or something with out looking it up.

Heads have been milled .030 and have the competition valve job which sinks the valves an extra .018 into the holes meaning that you are looking at a total mill of .012. cc is 60

using a factory style (width) gasket. stock ratio rockers stock lifters. new springs.

WHat size rod should i get? i know ideally measure and order but obvioulsy measure isnt a option for me. the cam i got was 2nd hand and was a comp cam but on the end had "texas speed " etched into it.

mabey someone can chime in with a similar combo or some good info, thanks in advance guys! looking to get this thing finished up as i'm torq'n my heads now.

Last edited by cworley; 02-28-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: addtnl info
Old 03-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Teching In

No one?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is measuring not an option for you?
You need to order an adjustable PR even from summit racing, and follow the measuring guides posted here and order you rods.
That is the only way you are going to get the right ones.
I understand asking what ones is the easier thing to do, but you dont want to mess up your engine getting too long or to short of PR.
Not beaing mean here, you just need to do alittle of the work.
Once you measure and you have questions on verification im sure people would be glad to help.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Teching In

not a option was due to local parts stores and tool stores not carrying a item i need. I was hoping a fella with the same set up would help.

I spoke with texas speed today and they tell me they now want me to fly cut when before hand i wasn't going to need to. then i call comp cams they guys who grind my cam and say " it's a larger cam but nothing out rageouse you should be able to run it no problem even with being milled.

I've decided to say to heck with it order the adjustable pr. in the mean time install the head with the oem pushrods and some clay in the #1 cylinder and rotate to see if a relief cut will be necc. if so i may consider trying to trade for something with a smaller duration.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Launching!

you should check it bud ,, i just went through this and you will be surprised the size you need ...
Old 03-01-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cworley
I've decided to say to heck with it order the adjustable pr. in the mean time install the head with the oem pushrods and some clay in the #1 cylinder and rotate to see if a relief cut will be necc. if so i may consider trying to trade for something with a smaller duration.
Using hydraulic lifters will not provide an accurate answer, you need a solid lifter or use the dial indicator method.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Vettenuts can u go into detail there a dial indicator or solid lifter for what? For pr or for ptv clearance?

I ordered earlier and got some check springs to put pressure on the rocker...... not calln you out bud just not following what your sayin.

Thanks.

Blackmagic, that's prob. True. I'm gonna just measure with the trick adjustable pr and checker spring.....and clay it and know for sure who's right and who's wrong....a consumption of my time for a "guarenteed deal" but o-well I'm here and gotta do something.... I just refuse to pul the pistons to fly cut ....cause then ill start throwin more $ at the short block....
Old 03-01-2011, 09:16 PM
9 Second Club

He is right you know. You realy going to need to wait till the pr tool arrives. Whn checking for vtp clearence, you realy need to have all the correct valve train components to get a accurate measurment. Sorry, I know how fustrating it can be whn your ready to get the build finshed but trust us, you realy need to wait till you have all your peices. Incorect valve train will cause alot of damage not to mention rob power and prematrue failure. After all, you do want maxium performance out of your build, rite?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:19 PM
9 Second Club

What exactly was ordered? adjustable pr check tool correct?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:29 PM
9 Second Club

Tell you what i just looked a little harder at your head specs. Your vtp will be find. Just turn the pr tool till your length keeps your rocker center of the top of the vale, you can achive this by coloring the top of the vale with a black sharpe and that should be you length. Its going to be shorter but cant say how much. Hope that helps you and good luck.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Back yard- I ordered the adjustable pr X 2 and 2 checker springs. I bought clay locally of course. I talked with comp and we agreed shorter...... push rods will be fine now since I ordered the tool (old addage if you want it right do it your self came into play here.) And vtp I hope your right comp cams says I'm ok but texas speed is set I need reliefs...... so I guess when I get the clay in I will know who's right.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Did you say you were using stock rockers (non adjustable)? If so then changing the pr length will not change rocker tip location on the valve tip, will only move the lifter plunger up or down.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are using clay, the clay will push the lifter plunger down and the reading will not be accurate. You need a solid lifter. If you don't have a solid lifter, then use a dial indicator to check the PTV along with check springs. If you are replacing lifters, make one of the old ones into a solid using come thin washers by disassembling and removing the internal spring components.