Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to buy the right cam. Like now!! Totally dude!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I want to buy the right cam. Like now!! Totally dude!!

Buying Cam, oil pump, and timing belt tonight or tomorrow. What do I need to look for to add power and uphold drivabilty as a daily driver. I will be getting heads too. So this is a factor. I think I may get the 220cc in and 80cc out. if that makes sense. what cam should I look for. Also, what lift, duration and RPM range should I look for.

PS. title made me laugh. sorry.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you have a clear goal/plan for vehicle. I would decide on heads first and then pick a cam to compliment the heads and retain your drivability. Is it an auto or standard?
I like the G5x2, 228r, and F13 cams for off the shelf daily drivers. Depending on your set-up you may also need, timing chain, headers, lifters, pushrods, clutch or torque converter as well.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:31 AM
10 Second Club

Heads first eh? It's an Auto. I am buy parts and installing it all in one shot. So at the moment I want to buy the parts starting with the cam and work on buying the parts around it. I am getting everything needed for cam and head replacement. I am also getting the oil pump and timing belt as well.

I just need the lift and duration specs I should look for. Unfortunately for me. when Looking for parts all I see is numbers and not what the numbers mean and how they help your cause. So, I need some specs.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You have a converter yet??? The stocker isn't gonna like H/C.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:53 AM
10 Second Club

Help the noobie out here. Converter? Torque converter? I wouldn't know honestly I've only had the car for a year and got it of a pollock that wasn't too specific what was done to the car. It was mostly stock but I wouldn't know.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:35 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your best bet is to call texas speed,eps,or another sponser,there is not enough info for anyone to make the right cam choice,I'm shocked no one has said t rex yet lol,it depends on your goals man,if its just a DD I would stay on the small to mid range cam choice,best way to go about it would be to have PatG spec you a cam,I detailed this guys ss a few months ago,he had a 224 cam,ported 243s,stall,and 3.73s ,of course full bolt ons etc,his car was so nice to drive on the street and had a great power band,does the car have longtubes,ls6 intake,p&p tb ,catback etc,I will also say you will need injectors also.you need to do a lil research ,and call a sponser to help ya out,
Old 03-05-2011, 04:42 AM
10 Second Club

Indeed. Follow me up on my other thread in this same topic. I have more info about the car and goals there.