Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Opinions- knock at idle-oil psi normal- idles fine.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Opinions- knock at idle-oil psi normal- idles fine.

Background- drove my supercharged Z to go see my parents for lunch. Got into boost a couple of times on the way down nothing too crazy.

Decided to open it up on the final stretch of road to their house. All was fine.

Had to start the car to move it to leave for lunch- again all was normal.

Car sat all day- then when i started the car to go home that evening- it was knocking.

Oil pressure was at 50 psi and the car idled fine. If it wasnt for the audible knock you wouldnt think anything was wrong.

Any help would be great- the car is stuck at my parents house until I figure out what im going to do with it.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing you need to do is see if its coming from the top end or the bottom end. may have bent a pushrod or broke a rocker. start it and see where the noise is coming from.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RARON455
First thing you need to do is see if its coming from the top end or the bottom end. may have bent a pushrod or broke a rocker. start it and see where the noise is coming from.
It sounds like its coming from the top- but i pulled the drivers side valve cover and i didnt see anything abnormal. Could it be a lifter? Someone had said it could possibly be a spun rod bearing...
Old 03-10-2011, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

bump yeah
Old 03-10-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be from the drivers side. id take the valve covers off and unbolt the rockers to check the pushrods. Or you can take the valve cover off and unplug the coils and have soneone turn the motor over. See if the valves are moving. Or get a stethascope and listen for noises. Alls we can do is give you options just start diagnosing stuff one by one. Are you sure its not piston slap thats very common in ls motors. Usually it goes away after a few minutes