Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure?

well after looking for a ls1 fbody for years i got one last week. 98 z28 m6 with 127k miles. it showed low oil pressure like most i have seen. about half between the red and 1/4 mark. well to day on my lunch break it started to get lower and lower at a idle it droped in to the red. i let it idle for about a min or so and didnt hear it make any noise so im not sure if its just a bad reading or what. i drove home keeping the rpms over 2500 the whole way at 20psi.

alldata show i have to use a adapter that replaces the oil filter but there 100buxs. is there another way or place to get a reading or do i have to spend 100buxs on something ill only use once?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a little aluminum elbow that bolts to the pan with two bolts (its by the oil filter) you can take that off,drill and tap it to 1/8 npt and any aftermarket gauge will screw into it, put the elbow back on the pan, thats the easiest place to pull oil preesure from. Also you did check your oil level right?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a friend that had the same problem ,but it was from excessive bearing wear, Allot of these f-body a dogged to death over the years and a 13 year old car i would say its had it share and plus with a 127k miles, You will not always here a knock ,Most of the time when you hear a knock its from one bearing but if all the bearing are just worn out it will cause very low oil pressure but with out the knock. I would check the oil pressure and if its still low, drop the pan and check your bearing.Ive change the rods and mains in these motor with out pulling the engine. But with that many mile and you can afford it, i would just do a complete overhaul
Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Teching In

it wasnt low on oil that was the first thing a checked. im going to do a oil change on it to day and replace the oil sender sensor and see what it does. i hope that fixs it or maybe the oil pump is weak or the o-ring is jacked up. the guy didnt beat on the car to hard he but did run it at the track once.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rabbid07
it wasnt low on oil that was the first thing a checked. im going to do a oil change on it to day and replace the oil sender sensor and see what it does. i hope that fixs it or maybe the oil pump is weak or the o-ring is jacked up. the guy didnt beat on the car to hard he but did run it at the track once.
Mine was doing the same thing. It didnt get as low as you mentioned but it would get down to about 15 psi at idle in gear and 25-30 at highway speeds. I just replaced the opsu and changed the oil and now I have 50-55 psi at highway speeds and about 48 at idle. Stick with the easy stuff first
Old 03-09-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I first bought my car it did the same thing, when cold the oil pressure looked ok but after driving and warming up the oil, I would have about 25 psi and at idle it would slowly drop to the red.

The issue was that the O ring on the pick up tube was broken.

Do your self a big favor and jack your car up and check its not hard to do, it takes a while but if you wait you will destroy your bearings and crank.