Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining sound coming from the bottom of the engine?

Old 03-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining sound coming from the bottom of the engine?

hi everybody i have a wierd problem yesterday i was driving my 2000 Z28 normally just cruising i stopped to put gas and on the way home it started randomly whining it sounds like a supercharger. i know for a fact its not the power steering and its not the rear end, as soon as i start the car it starts the faster i drive it the higher pitch it gets, it does it at all speeds and all rpm through P R N 2 1, i seriously cant figure it out! any help would be greatly appreciated thank you ill be back later tonight!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe alternator? Bearings could be going out. I know its pretty normal for the pumps to whine.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the alternator.

Take the belt off and see if the noise is still there. Don't run it too long without the belt though, it could kill the battery and/or overheat.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Launching!

Default thanks again

ok yeah im hoping its something that simple the alt or some pulley etc, because somebody told me it could be the crank bearings going out but idk it sounds like its coming from the back of the engine
Old 03-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Could be the transmission front pump.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Default wow

well fellas i figured out the problem, some how some way one of the screws to the flex plate on the tranny broke off?.....................wich is really disappointing , i remover the cover from the bells housing kind of around where the oil filter is and i noticed the piece of screw, so the sound that it was making was the screw grinding against the flexplate and the housing, it also awnsers why the car started vibrating, pretty scary, well thanks guys for the help now i have to see if its possible to do the job in my garage by myself
Old 03-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LSXFEIN
well fellas i figured out the problem, some how some way one of the screws to the flex plate on the tranny broke off?.....................wich is really disappointing , i remover the cover from the bells housing kind of around where the oil filter is and i noticed the piece of screw, so the sound that it was making was the screw grinding against the flexplate and the housing, it also awnsers why the car started vibrating, pretty scary, well thanks guys for the help now i have to see if its possible to do the job in my garage by myself
At least you found the problem before it caused any real damage. Also a lot cheaper then a short block or rebuild. Just get the car as high as you can get it and get a super long extension for the top trans bolt. There are some good how to's on here for auto trans removal. Stick a stall in the bitch when its out too.

Search this Thread