Sponsored by:

Cam advice..

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam advice..

Hey guys right now I have a 2000 Camaro SS. Performance mods are:
M6/LS7 clutch, Jet hot long tubes, ORY, stock exhaust, CAI, ls6 intake/p&p TB, TSP torquer 2 camshaft (and supporting mods), and a futral motorsports tune.

I was considering getting a set of ls6 heads and .410 gears, but being in college I don't have much money, and now considering taking the cam out. It's not very fun to daily drive, and gets about 14-15 mpg driving normally in the city. I was considering dropping an ls6 cam in it, then later down the road get some heads and gears. I plan on keeping this car as a daily driver for the next couple years, so a little better gas mileage and tamer low rpm driving would be nice. Also a complete re-tune on the car would be very cheap since I already paid for a tune once.

Would it be better to drop an ls6 cam instead of my stock camshaft back in? I would still like to have some power. Should I change out the valvesprings from the #130 comp springs to ls6 style springs? Can I keep the hardened pushrods? What else in the valve train should I change (130,000 miles - 85,000 @ cam swap)? Am I being a sissy?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I have rode in a car that had a Comp 222/222 that had stock like off idle power. I specifically asked the owner after we installed the cam. He said it felt just like stock at off idle and low rpm. Top end pull improved obviously.