Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm totally lost!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm totally lost!!!

I'm totally dumbfounded and really don't know what to do!!!! I replaced my throttle position sensor and my codes went away, and you would think that would've solved the problem of the plugs fouling up and the car missing, well no! Something is still causing a ton of carbon to build up on the plugs, and now I don't have any idea what, b/c now i'm not throwing any codes whatsoever (this is actually the first time since the cam install that my SES light has been off for more than one full day, hehe)!!!! Is it possible that oil in the intake could cause the plugs to load up like that? I noticed when I had my throttle body off that there was fresh oil on the back of it, so i'm assuming there might be a large amount built up in there, plus i've been goin through oil a bit since my Turbo 400 install and the 3200 - 3500 cruising rpm's!

Also, is it possible that my rings could be shot and causing this? Cuz now that I think about it, my last oil change, my oil consumption got pretty bad (it had started goin through about 3/4 of a quart to a full quart after my Turbo 400 swap, but got really bad the last oil change), went through about 2-1/2 qts in about 2000 - 3000 miles. Plus on numerous occasions when i've gone to add oil and taken off the oil filler cap after having just shut off the car, i've seen smoke kind of just floating up out of there and I don't know why but for some reason I thought that was normal cuz I just figured it's cuz the oil gets so hot, but I just heard that that means I have blowby, is that true? And is it possible that now it's just gotten really bad and is fouling up the plugs? I'm gonna make a point of it tomorrow to take off the oil filler cap after the car is up to temp and see if I see smoke come out, so I know it wasn't just a figment of my imagination the other times! I'm also goin to check and see if the wire for my crank position sensor is too close to a header or something b/c a buddy of mine said that could be causing it, but I would think that would've thrown a code for the crank position sensor, but I trust his knowledge and advice, so i'm gonna check it! Anything else you guys can think of that might be the problem? Thanks in advance for any help, I appreciate it!
Old 02-17-2004, 10:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Check your LTFT. I think you may have a vacuum leak.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

A vacuum leak could cause this? I'm tryin to think of where it could be coming from, I replaced the knock sensor about a week before this started happening, so I had the intake off for that, so maybe one of the hoses fell off, but I haven't seen any off or loose, but i'll definately take a real close look and see if I can find any, thanks for the tip, keep 'em comin!
Old 02-18-2004, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

I just set a code today finally, so as soon as I can get my hands on ATAP, i'll find out what it is! I hope it tells me what's wrong and not some dumb random thing!!