Sponsored by:

Hand Finished CNC'd Heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand Finished CNC'd Heads

Hi,
Just wanting to know whats the Beneifit of having hand finished CNC heads?
Also would it be better to send my CNC 243's to a hand porter rather than the same CNC porter?

thanks folks any info would be a godsend
Old 03-26-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cnc machine can only do much where as a hand porter can take the head further and pick up more flow if he knows what he's doing. To be honest save your money and buy a nice set of aftermarket castings. When you start with junk you end up with junk. Not saying 243 heads are junk far from it but I'm sure you get the point.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What 2SLOW really means is aftermarket castings like TRICKFLOW have a 13degree valve angle (15 is stock) and MAST heads have an 11 degree angle
this tends to unshroud the valve w/smaller cc chambers and the shape of the
runner as it approaches the bowl area is much improved which is why a 215-220 cc runner can flow well above 300cfm. Basically an aftermarket casting
starts where most 243 heads end
Old 03-26-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Send your heads to TEA or WCCH.. nuff said.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Always2Slow
A cnc machine can only do much where as a hand porter can take the head further and pick up more flow if he knows what he's doing. To be honest save your money and buy a nice set of aftermarket castings. When you start with junk you end up with junk. Not saying 243 heads are junk far from it but I'm sure you get the point.
i'll disagree with this.
what do you think we all did before there were any aftermarket castings available?you can make plenty of power on ported stock castings.yes the aftermarket choices are stronger and may ultimately make more power,but dollar per HP ported stock castings are hard to beat,especially for a N/A street/strip application..
all depends on your goals and how much money you want to spend.
do a search to see how much power you can make with 243s or even 241s when properly ported.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gtotoocool1
i'll disagree with this.
what do you think we all did before there were any aftermarket castings available?you can make plenty of power on ported stock castings.yes the aftermarket choices are stronger and may ultimately make more power,but dollar per HP ported stock castings are hard to beat,especially for a N/A street/strip application..
all depends on your goals and how much money you want to spend.
do a search to see how much power you can make with 243s or even 241s when properly ported.
I think you need to read the fact his heads are already cnc machined. Spending more money on them is pointless when you can buy a superior product.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Always2Slow
I think you need to read the fact his heads are already cnc machined. Spending more money on them is pointless when you can buy a superior product.
i see what your saying,my bad.
in that case i wouldn't touch them.if there properly machined,hand finishing won't give him that much more power.certainly not enough to justify the cost.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cost for the gain its probaly not worth it. Also just because a guy has a dremmel an says he hand finishes heads/ports them doesnt mean he knows what he is doing. The guys who really know how to finish are going to be expensive.