Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before I swap cams I need people who have done a cam swap chime in.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 04:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Before I swap cams I need people who have done a cam swap chime in.

After a long debate as to which cam to install in my Z28 I have made the decision of the TSP228R it mild and the vehicle is a daily driver. The question is for those who have done this should I really buy the rods that hold up the lifters in place or should I be okay with just turning the cam to push up the lifters in place. One more thing I wanted to know if anyone on here has ever used the proform valve spring compressor to remove the springs while on there camaro or trans am specifically, if not which spring compressor is capable of removing all the springs while the heads are on the vehicle.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You are very high risk without the rods. You can use 5/16 rods from Home Depot to do this, I don't like using wood. Rods won't prevent the lifters from coming down and interfering with the cam removal/installation, but they will prevent them from falling out completely.

The old Crane valve spring tools is the one to get, and one of the vendors is now making a knock off of it. Don't use the type with the claws that grab the spring itself, you will damage the springs.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would definitely use the rod holder.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

You can buy 2- 5/16" alum rods 36" long from McMaster Carr.com. Cost about $20 plus a couple of bucks shipping. They worked great for me. I order from them a lot at work. A very good vendor.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

I used wooden dowel rods from Lowes when i did mine. Total cost was about 3 or 4 dollars.

Passenger side and drivers side holes were different sizes on mine.

I cant remember the size dowels i used but i got the correct info when i did a search here on this site.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:58 AM
12 Second Club

Yes, buy the dowels. The small time invested could save a nightmare. I just did a cam swap last summer and was thankful I did. I had two lifters on the passenger side that were trying to fall and would have without them.

For the valve springs, just go to this post and buy what you need. It's not fancy, but is inexpensive and worked perfectly for me.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fab...available.html

Good luck and nice choice on the cam.