Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone using a sheetmetal intake on a 346 with any success?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is anyone using a sheetmetal intake on a 346 with any success?

Is anyone using a sheetmetal intake on a 346 with any success? I was thinking out loud at work today, and we were wondering with the recent high hp H/C setups (490+ rwhp) would any of these benefit from a sheetmetal intake and bigger TB. I mean, the 90mm LSx intake/TB combo is pushing $1400, a sheetmetal intake/TB combo can be had for a couple hundred $$$ more than that, and would provide more room to grow, IMO.

So, on a 500 rwhp H/C motor with NOS, wouldn't a sheetmetal intake provide more gains/flexibility than the LSx combo?

Shawn
Old 02-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
Is anyone using a sheetmetal intake on a 346 with any success? I was thinking out loud at work today, and we were wondering with the recent high hp H/C setups (490+ rwhp) would any of these benefit from a sheetmetal intake and bigger TB. I mean, the 90mm LSx intake/TB combo is pushing $1400, a sheetmetal intake/TB combo can be had for a couple hundred $$$ more than that, and would provide more room to grow, IMO.

So, on a 500 rwhp H/C motor with NOS, wouldn't a sheetmetal intake provide more gains/flexibility than the LSx combo?

Shawn
Maybe on a high rpm solid roller set up We have tested 3 sheetmetal intakes on 346's that were in the low 400rwhp range( these intakes were sent to us to test by a few trying to develop an intake over the past few years) and there wasn't one that outperfomed the ls6 intake under 6500rpm . They all lost trq, some over 50ft/lbs and never regained even at peak. We also street tested them and the diff. on the street seemed greater than the losses on the dyno. I am not saying there isn't an intake out there that works with a hyd. 346 but I havn't been too excited to swap over

The LSX is the way I would go, most sheetmetal intakes are $1500 to $2000 without the TB.

Just my 02cents
Old 02-18-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

How about a GMPP intake?
Old 02-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
How about a GMPP intake?
which one? I didn't know GM had an aftermaket/performance intake for the Ls1
Old 02-18-2004, 11:04 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Originally Posted by Nick Agostino
which one? I didn't know GM had an aftermaket/performance intake for the Ls1
Here's some info and pics in this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120327]
Old 02-18-2004, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Here's some info and pics in this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120327]
Oh that one I though there was a factory replacement LS1 style intake from GM that I didn't know about

You could easily do a stock fuel injection (pcm) set up with that intake
Old 02-19-2004, 02:37 AM
TECH Addict

Nice to see you again Nick.

There have been some locals here in houston that no gains with them, and they lost alot of low end. Not worth it IMO
Old 02-19-2004, 06:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
How about a GMPP intake?
I have one that I will run on the engine dyno within the next week. The runner is short so its hard to tell what it will do but it will probably be like a sheetmetal down low in the powerband.
I think these are mostly made for putting a gen 3 in a older car with a carb.
Kurt
Old 02-19-2004, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

If any is seriously interested. Please PM as I can help you acquire one - NOW. I've been able to help several folks on the board acquire these over the last couple of months.

The GMPP intakes were made for a racing class. They can be used for older cars for sure as their is an adapter for running on the LS1 with a distrubtor. Of course a crank trigger can be used as well.

I have a point of contact for the new GMPP intake. It's like a carb intake for the LS1 BUT it is set up with injector bungs. It's possible to use it with fuel injection and speed density tune and I don't think using a MAF is beyond reason. Solid346 is the pioneer with w/4th Gen's and this intake. I think a new hood might be needed.

Looking forward to hearing about the results. This being a metal intake there is material for porting etc to get the best gains out of it. I think for best results one would want to port it as with any metal intake.

When we get my engine ready, I'm hoping to be able to do a little engine dyno testing with the GMPP intake on my new LS1 for the 3rd Gen. Should be able to test several ported intakes.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

I've been witness to and have facilitated the testing of several intakes and most of them lost horsepower and torque below 6000 rpms.

Only one intake that was tested showed a small gain of peak horsepower and torque. An earlier version of this particular intake did not do well, but once it was revised it made as much power and torque as an LS6 intake from 5000 to 6000 but made another 10-15rwhp over an LS6 intake. I don't think this intake will go into commercial production anytime soon.

And Shawn, if you did a sheetmtetal intake like a Beck's you are looking at $2000 + a throttle body so you need to in the cost of the throttle body or just compare the intakes, so $850 for the 90mm FAST vs $2000 for a Beck sheetmetal which is what SAM has used.