Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cam/lifters, couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New cam/lifters, couple questions

Ok i am about to order a cam for my 5.3 L59 e85 '04 Tahoe AWD with about 75k miles. Ive been looking around and i have settled on the GMPP 12480033 cam (Specifications: 219 / 228 @ .050, .525 / .525 lift,, 112 LSA ), as well as throwing a new set of lifters and head gaskets in.

The reason i am doing this is because i have recently developed a lifter noise after a hot engine flush. Now i promised myself i would not modify this truck until it was paid off, but given my circumstances i sure as hell aint going to go that far in to the motor and not put it back stock

As it stands, the truck is BONE STOCK performance-wise, but due to the circumstances i will have more mods to follow the cam swap(headers/cai/exhaust work by the end of this summer). Now i have a few questions.

1. Pushrods-Are my stock rods ok? what would be a suitable upgrade/length?

2. Rockers/retainers- Same deal, re-use stock?

3. 75k miles-I know its not tons, but any other stock parts worth replacing while i am in there?

4. Tune-Now if i could i would like to rock my stock tune out for another month or 2 to save up some cash for HPT. Am i better off doing this? Or going with a mail-order tune. Is stock tune going to be limited enough to where i could cause damage? I have free access to a motus/red brick as well as a tech-II to get rid of codes or anything like that if i should need it.

5. Any other parts im forgetting about?

I just did water pump assuming thats what was causing the noise i was getting. I assume i need new head gaskets/water pump gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, what about valve cover gaskets? Im not super nit picky on $ but im a little tight right now as i didnt foresee this happening ahah. More so concerned on time with the truck apart as i may be somewhat paying for shop use.

Any help is greatly appreciated to answer any or all of the questions.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats the gm hotcam that been around forever. i dont know if you will get away with running that through an automatic without a stall given its on a 112 lsa and its got a pretty choppy idle. as far as the tune goes, you "may" be okay for a little bit. i have a buddy that has run it for year untuned, but its in a m6. you also need to check to see what lift your valve springs are rated at, but the rockers shouldnt be a problem.

i would probably look for something on a little higher lsa, but im sure you will get some cam gurus to comment on this a little better.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you gonna install some new lifters, if so I believe the replacement LS1 lifters are the LS7 units now. They do have a different cup height and could cause a need for new length pushrods, as far as your rockers, Yes you can reuse them no problem, Not sure what you mean by retainers, if you are referring to the valve retainers, yes they will be fine,If you mean the lifter retainers (rocker boxes) Yes you can reuse them, Just dont ever trust them to hold your rockers in when doing the cam swap. as far as other things to replace, since the engine has 75K miles its a safe bet to replace all your gaskets involved with the work your doin. when You re-install your oil pump put a new o-ring in it make sure you have the right one, put some lube on it and make sure you dont damage (pinch) it. Another thing I would really consider is replacing the timing chain since it has some miles on it and your in there. Alot of guys also replace their oil pump on a cam swap, a ported Ls6 or melling 10296 is the way to go there. Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:46 PM

wow very good info so far bunch of help. Ya im not dead set on the cam i figured the low lsa might become a foul play. Any other suggestions then on a similar cam/spring combo? the price on the GMPP hot cam kit is nice. Yes i will be doing all new lifters, PN 12499225. Now i could never find a straight answer on the stock lifters, im half hearing that they are the outdated LS1 units, and other half saying they are already the newer style LS6. Could anyone throw me a pushrod length then? And thanks for the tip on the ported oil pump line, that Melling pump looks appealing.

getting stoked for this even though it started as an unfortunate repair bill.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Click on some of the site sponsors on the right for some of your cam ?????s
EPS, Thunder Racing, Texas Speed, Futral, Veangence, they can all get you
into a cam that would work better than the HOT stick. The 5.3 is a great
engine but @ 325" in an AWD suv (heavy) you'll want a broad torque band.
Also each of these sponsors can ship you all the gaskets, lifters, and correct
length pushrods.....also the LS2 timing chain is a popular upgrade to use
with the factory gears....under $50....good luck

Quick Reply: New cam/lifters, couple questions