Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure low.....fml

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil pressure low.....fml

currently building a LS 383 stroker new rotaing assembly and the works everything has been gone through and checked bearing clearances and such and so on. First thing got it together fired it up low oil pressure 35-45PSI cold start gets worse when warmed up... was running a melling 10296 H/V oil pump. Thought it was the pump so i called TSP and got a melling 10295 L/V oil pump. The reason for deciding on a low volume was a decision i made just to be safe since i have the stock oil pan still. so got the pump put it in and still yet even lower oil pressure. What's wrong here, i have a fully adjustable comp cams double roller. Which have heard you are not suppose to run with a melling cuz they won't fit. Well it fit but had to notch on the oil pump " was done slowly to avoid a lot of heat so nothing should have been messed up from that and there are no holes from it either. Has anyone had a problem running a melling and a double roller before? It is not the oil pickup tube o rings were checked both times oil pressure was steady and no bubbles in the oil. Please if you have any suggestions please let me know i am begging to get this thing on the road again
thank you.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

how did you clearance the windage tray and crankshaft. if you had to add spacers under the windage tray your pick up tube could be too close to the bottom of the pan. think it should be 3/8 inch between the pick up tube and pan.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

yes it was spaced to allow clearance guess i never thought about that? will see if this is the problem.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the 10295 now on mine, it is down about 20lb on the TSP LS6 pump i had, but i run it with a Dual In-motion Chain & no issues. Cold 60lb idle / Hot 40lb
Old 04-02-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

i just taped some washers to the bottom of the pick up tube (think i stacked three 3/8 bolt washers). and put the pan on with no gasket. it was almost touching the block, so after i added the thickness of the gasket and the washers removed i knew i had enough clearance for the pick up tube. did you remove the bar bell plug from the back of the block or check the seal on the camshaft retainer.