Sponsored by:

Car cranks but wont start...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 03:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car cranks but wont start...

Some background information:
A few months ago I was doing a heads/cam swap, it took me a while to get it done, but I got it done. When I went to start it the first time, it fired but after a few minutes at idle the drivers cat started glowing orange. After that, the only time it would start would be if I was giving it gas. I ended up taking it into a shop and have them finish it and tune it. Once the shop got everything figured out, they put it on the dyno to tune and I made the mistake of improperly torquing the heads down, which resulted in a blown head gasket.

They proceded to take the heads off, when they did they discovered tiny nicks and scratches on the bottom part of the head. They sent them out to get milled and cleaned up. While the heads were off they went in and checked the timing to make sure everything was straight there. When they recieved the heads from the machine shop they installed them and told me the BBK SSI intake manifold I had was tweaked becasue I did not follow the proper bolt pattern. I called BBK and they said it will be fine just use new gaskets. All in all they got the car back together and tuned. After I picked up the car on March 10th, I had some starting issues. On a cold start the car would surge the RPMs, 600 to 1,500 and after a minute or two it would find its idle. If I would start the car warm, the RPMs would just too 1,200 and then it would die. On the warm start, I would have to give it gas and rev it around 1,500 RPMs for a few seconds so it would die. On March 17th, I went back down to the shop for an adjustment on my tune, thinking that would solve my problem.

The shop knew what was going on and they said it could be a vacuum leak at either the manifold or the EGR. I was going to take the car to them this week and have em delete my EGR and swap out manifolds. On March 25th, I filled the car up with Chevron gas. That night I went to go start it, it idled for about a minute or two and then just died. I started looking around the car and noticed there was not gasket between the throttle body and intake manifold. I ordered one hoping that would help me, I got it on a few days later and nothing happened. I then proceded to unbolt the intake manifold EGR part and block that off. With the EGR still attached to the exhaust manifold, the car started right up and had a very weak idle around 600 RPM.

On March 30th, I called the shop and told em what was going on and they suggested to unplug the MAF and try to start the car, I did and nothing happened. April 1st I was able to delete my EGR completely and block everything off, I went and started the car and samething would happenl it would only start if I was giving it gas and as soon as I left off it would die. I then proceded to take the BBK SSI manifold off, noticed the individual square gaskets were all there. I ended up ordering a set of paper gaskets that lay on the head and will also use the square gaskets that are on the manifold. Those gaskets should arrive on wednesday.

April 3rd, I took the fuel rail off the manifold and noticed some of the o-rings on the injectors looked pretty bad and so I changed all the o-rings out for new ones. Once I get the new gaskets and the intake manifold back on I will be unbolting the front 02 sensors and trying to start the car to see if the cats are bad or not. If the cats are bad, what would have caused that since the car is tuned. Any other advice would be great. Sorry for such a long post, just had to get all that info out there.

This is a list of the current modifications:
- MSD Wires
- NGK TR55 Spark Plugs
- K&N Air Filer
- Whisper Carbon Fiber Intake Lid
- Smooth Intake Bellow
- Ported & Polished Throttle Body
- BBK SSI Intake Manifold
- LS7 Lifters
- Comp Cams LSX Chromemoly Hardened 7.425" Pushrods
- LS2 243 Cylinder Heads
- Comp Cams 918 Beehive Valve Springs
- EPS 222/226 .596/.598 114 LSA Camshaft
- LS2 Timing Chain/Gears
- GM LS6 Oil Pump
- SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley
- SLP Loudmouth 1 Cat-back
Old 04-05-2011, 04:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whip out your fuel pressure gauge and tell us what it says while cranking the engine.