Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gaskets/bolts do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What gaskets/bolts do I need?

Getting ready for a cam swap into my 98 Formula soon and I'm wondering what gaskets and bolts do I really need and what can I reuse? I've heard companies selling kits but its like another $200 for it and I really don't wanna dump that just for gaskets.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you want to keep it cheap tsp has a kit that includes all the necessary gaskets for a reasonable amount of money. Stock bolts work fine. If your taking the heads off replace the lifters if you can swing the money and get arp head bolts.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, just checked it out and theirs is about $60 which is pretty reasonable. I was gonna do that too but I'm getting kinda anxious and want the cam in, haha, so I'll probably take the heads off just to make the install easier but leave em stock until I can get some ls7 lifters and ported 243s. That would just mean I need new head gaskets and bolts along with it right?
Old 04-13-2011, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Don't waste your time and money taking the heads off unless you are upgrading them!!! Just get some rods to hold the lifters up. If you are doing a Cam swap, you should consider upgrading your Timing chain and Oil Pump and Valve Springs. I would do a new front cover gasket, water pump gasket, and front seal. Your valve cover gaskets should be fine. ARP crank bolt is a good investment. (can be re-used) Hope this helps
Old 04-13-2011, 08:44 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on sliding the cam without taking the heads off. Once you loosen the first bolt you are committed to another couple hours of work that is nothing more than a PITA if you are reusing stock heads.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah true..I just dont want to have to worry about dropping a lifter or a valve so it seemed easier just to take the heads off to save some time..maybe my reasonings off haha

99ls1, thanks for the gaskets. I'm doing a ported ls6 pump, ls2 timing chain, and some Manley valve springs with it if I do it..just trying to decide if I want to do it or save some $ and do an ls2/3 swap into an old chevelle or something..