Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I restore rusty headgaskets(new)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I restore rusty headgaskets(new)?

I bought a set of head gaskets around September 09 while my motor was apart. It took several months to get all the parts together so I didn't actually open the gaskets for a while. When I finally did open them a few months later they were rusty. The place that sold them to me offered to replace them at the time, but due to my memory problems, I couldn't remember where I hid them. Now nearly 2 years later I'm building a similar motor and wondering if I can soak these gaskets in something to clear off the rust. Or is it not worth the risk? They are L92 head gaskets and the outer layer looks fine, but the inner layer looks to be a bit rusty. When I tried to remove them from the packaging back in 09, the cardboard backing starting ripping off with them so I just left them in the original package how they came. I'll post pics if needed.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

How much do the gaskets go for? Id weigh that against the time, effort, and supplies needed for cleaning them.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

i would honestly just replace them. The little amount it would cost to replace them may save you a lot of headache down the road. thats just personal opinion though.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Go with new gaskets, there not that expensive. Don't put rusty gasket that where falling apart when you tried to take them out of the package. Make the investment and buy the right stuff, no use building an engine wrong.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, I'll tell my buddy to get some new one's. I'm building the motor for him and he told me some mechanics from Mexico had dealt with a similar situation. They soak the gaskets in something and then spray them with something else(didn't get the details yet). Either way, I don't want this motor to screw up because I tried to save my buddy some money on head gaskets. New gaskets is the plan. Thanks for the advice ya'll.