Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Lapping Valves.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Lapping Valves.

Lapping valves for the first time on a set of clean heads. CNC ported 243's and a new set of manley valves. Will be running Patriot Extreme springs. When doing them should I be able to get them to the point of not being able to see any light leak through when the valve is sitting there with no presure on it, or will it require a little pressure to get a full seal? I can see a little get through right now, but if I put a few pounds of pressure (much less than the seat pressure with the springs on) it seals up. Just wanting to know how far to take them. Thank you.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by njoossens
Lapping valves for the first time on a set of clean heads. CNC ported 243's and a new set of manley valves. Will be running Patriot Extreme springs. When doing them should I be able to get them to the point of not being able to see any light leak through when the valve is sitting there with no presure on it, or will it require a little pressure to get a full seal? I can see a little get through right now, but if I put a few pounds of pressure (much less than the seat pressure with the springs on) it seals up. Just wanting to know how far to take them. Thank you.
Just considering that you'll have (at least) 135# seat pressure when assembled, I wouldn't be concerned with what it "looks like" with no spring. Best way to check is install the spring and pour a few ounces of light hydrocarbon (naptha, lacquer thinner, whatever is handy) into the port and watch for seepage around the valve head.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Thanks...I've just been getting them so that there is a nice even line on the valve and seat. They seem to seal up with no ligh with about 10-20lb of presure from a finger. Can't seem to get the springs compressed enough to get the keepers on now. Think the tool I rented from Advance Auto doesn't have enough travel. Autozone looked to only have the ones that you use when the heads are on the car. Hopefully Oreilly will have something different.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I have always done mine by looking at the valve and seat. No light needed.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How fine a grit are you using?

On the valve spring tool, make sure to use one that pushes on the retainer. Don't get or use the "claw" type that grabs the spring itself. With the heads off, best tool is the big "C" clamp type.

Also, make sure you really clean out the lapping compound good before reassembly.

Are you measuring spring installed height?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how tight are the guilds?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Took back the clamp style one that I was using since it didn't seem to have enough travel to compress the spring enough to pop the retainers in. Was hoping to find another rental in that style, but OReilly and Autozone both do the claw style. I'll at least finish lapping the valves tonight. Worst case I can take it to a machine shop to finish installing. Trying to avoid any more money spent. Haven't got any springs on to measure installed height. Valve guides look good.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:25 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by njoossens
Haven't got any springs on to measure installed height.
You don't install springs to check installed height! You use a valve spring height micrometer.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Sorry I wasn't thinking. I'll check them out tonight.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It might be worth buying a valve spring tool you can use now and when the heads are on the car. Good investment and can be used later when you need to freshen the valve springs. I have the old Crane tool but apparently the same is now made by other vendors. Vinci may also still sell them as well.

Quick Reply: Question about Lapping Valves.