Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double roller timing chain clearance question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Double roller timing chain clearance question

How do you make clearance between the double roller timing chain to the front cover? Will double front cover gasket work? I know it works on a supercharge V6 car like the Grand Prix

I'm in the process building a new motor so I need to know if I need to get a single timing chain. Thanx
Old 04-16-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You cant double front cover gaskets these cars, I have never heard of anyone doing that. I have the rollmaster double, and what a complete pain in the a-- it was to fit. the way it works is there are spacers that mount behind the oil pump housing, which allows the chain to clear the back of the pump, this pushes the pump forward and into the cover, (I have heard of some guys who did not have to clearance their covers) I did, quite a bit. What I did was took some DYKEM, spray paint will work fine, and put a light coat on the inside of the cover, then tried to mount it, and when it didnt go flat, I turned side to side, which makes scratches in the paint, showing where it is contacting. Then using a die grinder with a sanding wheel I removed matierial until it fit without contacting, It took multiple times of mounting, removing, grinding, mounting, removing, YOU get the point. There are a ton of post showing where most have to remove. It was not hard, just time consuming. When you do this, do not do it with your new front seal in the cover, as it will get damaged. Hope this helps.
Dont try to gain any clearance by runnign without the oil pump spacers, and removing matierial from the oil pump..I tried an experiment and ended up ruining my brand new melling,, Its worth the read
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...xperiment.html

Last edited by RARON455; 04-16-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Going through the same stuff right now. There are a few aftermarket covers out there, but they need clearancing as well. Remember you have now shimmed out your ballancer as well. You will have to machine that down to make your accesories line up correctly. This must be a common problem, wish I knew before I mounted my double roller.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by specialized.1
Going through the same stuff right now. There are a few aftermarket covers out there, but they need clearancing as well. Remember you have now shimmed out your ballancer as well. You will have to machine that down to make your accesories line up correctly. This must be a common problem, wish I knew before I mounted my double roller.
Your balancer presses against the timing sprocket which is pressed against the crank snout, it should not need any machining, Unless it is actually dragging on the inside of the pumps front cover you should be fine. even though the pump is pushed out further, it shouldnt hit the balancer, But depending on your parts combo, who knows....

IF I had it to do over again, I would have went with the LS2 roller everyone says is so much better, The double roller really was a pita for me.
The following users liked this post:
Street Performers (08-18-2020)
Old 04-17-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrs1313
^^ Not true the balancer should be machined the same distance that the pump was shimmed out...
Make sense.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RARON455
You cant double front cover gaskets these cars, I have never heard of anyone doing that. I have the rollmaster double, and what a complete pain in the a-- it was to fit. the way it works is there are spacers that mount behind the oil pump housing, which allows the chain to clear the back of the pump, this pushes the pump forward and into the cover, (I have heard of some guys who did not have to clearance their covers) I did, quite a bit. What I did was took some DYKEM, spray paint will work fine, and put a light coat on the inside of the cover, then tried to mount it, and when it didnt go flat, I turned side to side, which makes scratches in the paint, showing where it is contacting. Then using a die grinder with a sanding wheel I removed matierial until it fit without contacting, It took multiple times of mounting, removing, grinding, mounting, removing, YOU get the point. There are a ton of post showing where most have to remove. It was not hard, just time consuming. When you do this, do not do it with your new front seal in the cover, as it will get damaged. Hope this helps.
Dont try to gain any clearance by runnign without the oil pump spacers, and removing matierial from the oil pump..I tried an experiment and ended up ruining my brand new melling,, Its worth the read
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...xperiment.html
When I did my Rollmaster chain the cover was hitting the bottom of the pump right where the timing cover steps down. There is a lot more material on the pump than the cover, so I filed down the pump until the cover fit without the gasket in place. The two places it was hitting are where the oil pickup tube bolts to the pump, and where the Allen head plug for the pressure relief valve threads in. The pump casting is thick in those areas. All I had to do was file off some of the material at an angle, for the cover to fit.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a lot of work. Why not just buy a c5r chain?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kkslds
Sounds like a lot of work. Why not just buy a c5r chain?
If I had to do it over, I would. I did this years ago.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like I'll have a set of double roller timing chain for sale very soon.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you just buy an SLP oil pump and the SLP double roller timing chain, it won't need to be clearanced at all. That's what I did. Shortblock is sitting in my garage right now, with the oil pump, double roller, and front/rear covers and pan installed. Shop that installed it called me asking about the spacers. I told them it didn't need them and to slide it on and check the clearance. They put me on hold, came back 5 minutes later, and expressed their surprise/relief that it didn't need to be clearanced nor did it need spacers.

Oh yeah, congrats on upgrading to a V8. I bought some part(s) from your black car when you parted it out.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Absolutely correct. Buy the SLP ported pump, and you can use about any double roller. I used a Comp Cams double roller. You do NOT use the pump shims with this pump. The inside of the pump is clearanced for the double chain. Going this way is as easy as any single roller.

CHRS1313...I don't want to start an argument, but why are you machining your balancer? That has nothing to do with the placement of the pump. The balancer fits against the lower timing gear/pump drive. That gear doesn't move I don't care how far you move the pump. It's part of the timing set...not the oil pump.

Don't machine the balancer. Then you will have issues.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ordered HD LS2 chain set with adjustable cam gear from Mike@Yank.

I'll post my roller master double roller chain set for sale once I get some pics.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
^^^ Absolutely correct. Buy the SLP ported pump, and you can use about any double roller. I used a Comp Cams double roller. You do NOT use the pump shims with this pump. The inside of the pump is clearanced for the double chain. Going this way is as easy as any single roller.

CHRS1313...I don't want to start an argument, but why are you machining your balancer? That has nothing to do with the placement of the pump. The balancer fits against the lower timing gear/pump drive. That gear doesn't move I don't care how far you move the pump. It's part of the timing set...not the oil pump.

Don't machine the balancer. Then you will have issues.
you are right bud I just went and looked at the motor on the engine stand...it has been a long while since I did my double roller...I think I remember wanted to machine mine back 2-3 years ago and that thought stuck with me...you are correct no machining is needed to shorten the snout...

make sure to check the snout OD so that it is still smaller than the ID of the pump gears...when it is shimmed they now stick out farther than the crank gear...so your snout should have a taper, just make sure there is still enough clearance...
Old 04-25-2011, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrs1313

make sure to check the snout OD so that it is still smaller than the ID of the pump gears...when it is shimmed they now stick out farther than the crank gear...so your snout should have a taper, just make sure there is still enough clearance...
That is an excellent point that is easy to overlook!
Old 04-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread but is this a problem with all double roller timing chains? I just ordered a comp cams double roller with a melling HV oil pump for my cam swap.

These two parts here:
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...ywords=63-7102
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...ords=156-10296

Is this going to cause an issue?
It's going in a 99 C5

Thanks,

Josh
Old 04-25-2011, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by About2Bite
Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread but is this a problem with all double roller timing chains? I just ordered a comp cams double roller with a melling HV oil pump for my cam swap.

These two parts here:
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...ywords=63-7102
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...ords=156-10296

Is this going to cause an issue?
It's going in a 99 C5

Thanks,

Josh
It's not an issue if you clearance the oil pump properly. Or if you buy an SLP oil pump.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Eh... I think I'm just going to go with the LS2 chain with my HV Melling oil pump then, don't really want to run into issues mid install.

From what I've seen as far as reading other threads is there will most likely be clearance issues, you can use button head bolts for the pump and do a little grinding but I really don't want to mess with that.

Really doesn't seem like there is any worthwhile reason to run a double roller, looks like a lot of really high power cars are running a single without second thought.

I'm thinking I'll go with the LS2 chain myself but the C5R looks like a popular one was well, although pricey.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Just installed an SLP pump this weekend with a dbl roller. Works great.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the Manley double roller and ported oil pump. I didn't have any clearence issues.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So the aftermarket double roller chain with stock oil pump don't have clearance issues?

Quick Reply: Double roller timing chain clearance question