Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dex cool concern

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dex cool concern

i bought my car, and recently checked the antifreeze level. it was pretty low. my car always runs a hair under 210 on the thermostat (so probably around 200), and i never have any issues with it's temperature. i'm not sure how long the thing has been run without a full amount of antifreeze, but i'm concerned if this is a big deal? i just want to know that if as long as the car is staying cool, then the level of antifreeze doesn't matter (and obviously, less antifreeze won't keep the car cool)? or is there a side affect (a negative affect besides overheating) to running an engine that doesn't have enough antifreeze in it? i just don't want to be worried that something in my engine is messed up due to it's running low on antifreeze for so long.

also, i have the mud in my radiator. the orange stuff that looks like it's years old. i had it on my old camaro, i have it on this one. suggestions for taking care of it? thanks.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:28 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

That "mud" will develop if you run the system low like you were. Air left in the system by being low on coolant will cause that mud pretty quick....
Old 02-20-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh ok. so it won't damage the engine running it for that long?

any tips for getting rid of the muddy ****?
Old 02-20-2004, 05:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by tuffluck
oh ok. so it won't damage the engine running it for that long?

any tips for getting rid of the muddy ****?
The mud won't damage the 'engine', but it can and will damage your cooling system eventually. It will cause system clogs, and can damage components within the cooling system (radiator, heater core, water pump, etc.). If enough clogs form, then you will have overheating issues which could lead to motor damage if let go too far (hot).

Fully flushing the system is really the only way to clean out the crud....
Old 02-20-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The mud won't damage the 'engine', but it can and will damage your cooling system eventually. It will cause system clogs, and can damage components within the cooling system (radiator, heater core, water pump, etc.). If enough clogs form, then you will have overheating issues which could lead to motor damage if let go too far (hot).

Fully flushing the system is really the only way to clean out the crud....
I would flush it-Better safe than sorry
Old 02-20-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya, i'll flush it. got any good techniques? i've done a search, and everyone has a different opinion.

what about the radiator flush you can buy at walmart or autozone? is that engine-block safe?

just give me what you think is the best method thanks guys.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright, i'm officially a moron. i just looked at it again, it wasn't that low, and there was little to no sludge in it.

i was almost certain the last time i looked in there it was terrible. i'm not sure about that one...

either way, it was a little low, and so i filled it up with some leftover dex-cool. the reservoir was totally empty, and full of the ole sand. i'm on my way to get some distilled water to fix that tho.

thanks for the help, sorry for the ignorance.