Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up an eBay LS1 timing chain dampener (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Picked up an eBay LS1 timing chain dampener (PICS)

So, for those of you that know what a timing chain dampener is, then you can skip the next paragraph. I picked up a timing chain dampener for an LS1/LS6 (not LS2 or LS3) on eBay, since somebody here in the USA decided to reproduce them. The OEM have long been out of stock, and their future availability is in question, so I had to snag one while I still could.

Why?

I was recently doing a forged rebuild on my shortblock, and came across some info about timing chains stretching and breaking in certain continuous RPM ranges (such as during road racing). During my research, I found that GMs solution in 1997 LS1's was to insert a nylon "brace" in between the timing chain and the cam/crank timing sprockets. In the event that the timing chain would want to flex and "wrap" around itself on the cam gear, it would tap/brush on this small piece of nylon and stop the chain from stretching. GM later introduced this technology for the LS2, and redesigned it for the LS3 (which people actually change back to the LS2 style dampener due to poor reliability on the LS3 design).

The problem? GM's bean counters decided at the time that it wasn't necessary, so they only had a limited number of these pieces made for the LS1. On the blocks, they kept the mounting bosses, and on some, the holes are already machined and threaded. All the places that have the OEM dampener listed have long been out of stock, listed for over $100. A guy I know actually contacted the places that had it listed, and was not able to locate one. So, why can't you use the LS2 dampener? The bolt-center for the LS2 mounting points are not the same as the LS1 factory bolt-center for the mounting points.

The solution? Some people have modified the bolt center on the LS2 dampeners using high-temperature oil-resistant epoxy and re-bushing them. I was able to find a person selling these on eBay for under $60 shipped (at the time). Expecting it to be pretty low-quality, I went ahead and ordered one anyways to see how bad it could actually be, despite the sellers claims of "high-temperature oil-resistant epoxy" and "secure metal bushings" to hold it in place. Here are some pictures and a description of what I got in the mail. I was pleasantly surprised with the high-quality piece that I saw:

Unboxing

Package contents, bolts held in place with a rubber band on opposite side. Note the torque spec & liability disclaimer sheet (nice touch). Pen for scale

A shot of the block side, with bolts and removed bushing insert. Pen for scale

Both inserts/bolts removed, block side

Inserts in place, block side

A close-up of the block side, bushing removed. You can see how cleanly the epoxy was set and then machined away, as well as how the bushing works

Bolts/bushings removed, timing cover side. Bolt heads provide even clamping force on the piece

The epoxy passed the basic hardness test done with fingernail, small screwdriver, and other abrasive tools I could find. The hardness was nearly identical to that of the timing chain dampener, with little to no marring of the epoxy. I then contacted the seller regarding the epoxy, and he said that it was the best (of the few) epoxy that met the criteria for temperature resistance, oil resistance, and durability, and is what was recommended to him by an expert in the automotive racing industry for that type of environment. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the piece, and it will definitely be going on the next motor I [re]build. Hope this helps any of you with making the decision to purchase or not.

And a quick quote:
The LS1/6 timing chain damper is tan in color and has a 2.187" bolt center. The LS2 timing chain damper is black in color and has a 1.762" bolt center. Unfortunately, some of the '04 LS1/6 blocks were drilled for the narrower LS2 bolt center so the only way to know which is correct is to measure. You should hope it's drilled for the narrower bolt center due to the lower cost of the LS2 damper.

Last edited by ZexGX; 04-18-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Nice piece
Old 04-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what i see in pics,that screams quality id say worth every penny
Old 04-18-2011, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Nice piece
Originally Posted by southsidecox
from what i see in pics,that screams quality id say worth every penny
Yup, I'm pretty happy with it, and I haven't installed it! lol.

I also contacted the seller and asked about any testing that he has done on it. He got back to me and said that he bolted dampener to an aluminum block of metal, submerged that in engine oil on a hot plate, and heat cycled it for about 20 hours from room temp to 350+ degrees fahrenheit with no problems...
Old 04-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Banned

You realize there is no good reason to let that expoxy on that piece? Pull it off and use it, that expoxy is going to come apart under heat and loading and get stuck in the oil pickup etc. Its serving no purpose, those bushing will hold that in place just fine.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by O2Form
You realize there is no good reason to let that expoxy on that piece? Pull it off and use it, that expoxy is going to come apart under heat and loading and get stuck in the oil pickup etc. Its serving no purpose, those bushing will hold that in place just fine.
That's what I thought. But without the epoxy, wouldn't there be a potential for the bushings to stay in place but the nylon to rotate in place from the timing chain hitting against it (caused by the oval hole from the lack of epoxy)? This is his reply in regards to the epoxy in question... I also know that he is a member on LS1tech and is pretty trustworthy. I also think he's using them in his current/future builds.

FWIW, I work on a Indy Car team (for the last 21 years). I had our carbon/composites guys spec the epoxy. We had our choice of a half dozen epoxies, but they said this is the best.
After which, I asked about testing, and then he replied with some short-term testing results of 30 cycles from ambient to 350*F in motor oil, bolted to a block of aluminum (posted above).
Old 04-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Banned

I wooood take a chance without the epoxy before I woooood risk having that epoxy come apart. As the chain slaps the sides of that guide the guide is going to deform and the epoxy not being a native part of that structure is going to deform at a different rate. I'd pull the expoxy and mount it, see if it moves. I don't think it will. I can tell you this, that epoxy is doing NOTHING to add to the stability or strength of that damper-guide. Now if you had a spare guide you could machine plugs from to fill the holes i'd say thats ok to try. At least it couldn't fragment under pressure, that damper-guide is going to be slapped around ALOT.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by O2Form
I wooood take a chance without the epoxy before I woooood risk having that epoxy come apart. As the chain slaps the sides of that guide the guide is going to deform and the epoxy not being a native part of that structure is going to deform at a different rate. I'd pull the expoxy and mount it, see if it moves. I don't think it will. I can tell you this, that epoxy is doing NOTHING to add to the stability or strength of that damper-guide. Now if you had a spare guide you could machine plugs from to fill the holes i'd say thats ok to try. At least it couldn't fragment under pressure, that damper-guide is going to be slapped around ALOT.
Good to know!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a little confused in the first post it says gm had these in 97 yet I've never seen them on an ls1 only later ls2/3 motors did gm ever fcatoory install them on 98-02 motors? Oh and I've got an 01 ls6 sitting in front of me but I dont see the bosses by the timing chain does anyone have any pics? If they arent tapped isnt it possible to just drill them for the ls2 style damper?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by redbird555
I'm a little confused in the first post it says gm had these in 97 yet I've never seen them on an ls1 only later ls2/3 motors did gm ever fcatoory install them on 98-02 motors?
They did not. Some 97's had them, but most didn't due to cost cuts.

Oh and I've got an 01 ls6 sitting in front of me but I dont see the bosses by the timing chain does anyone have any pics
http://i51.tinypic.com/t8akqp.jpg <--- the flat "Mickey Mouse Ears" shape between the cam gear and the crank gear. Those are the mounting bosses, with holes factory drilled/tapped on an '02. My '01 block didn't have the holes tapped, but it had the bosses.

If they arent tapped isnt it possible to just drill them for the ls2 style damper?
No, because the LS2 dampener bolt centers are too close to each other.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

Bump... Did anybody pick one of these up for themselves? Install it yet?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

That epoxy that the seller used is bad ****. I have seen an industrial electronics manufacturing dept. coat circuit boards in it for extreme chemical/heat resistance. It's pretty impressive. It isn't some **** you find next to permatex at the auto parts store. Anyone who doubts it doesn't know what they are talking about.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
That epoxy that the seller used is bad ****. I have seen an industrial electronics manufacturing dept. coat circuit boards in it for extreme chemical/heat resistance. It's pretty impressive. It isn't some **** you find next to permatex at the auto parts store. Anyone who doubts it doesn't know what they are talking about.
X2. It's incredibly tough stuff, and not some Autozone ****. I have no reason to believe that it would do what O2Form thinks it will do. The seller told me that they have used weaker epoxies for all-out race car transmissions for years without failure. Being indirectly "slapped around" by a timing chain should have little to no effect on its integrity.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Did you ever get around to installing this? I see the "mickey mouse ears" mounting pads you referred to, but I'm having a hard time visualizing how the thing would fit in that tight space.

Edit: Nevermind, found pics in other threads.

Last edited by AAIIIC; 11-03-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The epoxy is prob Quick-Steel as it is very strong (18,000 psi) compressive strength and 700 or 800 lbs. lap shear and is oil , gas resistive and can withstand I believe 500 deg fahr continueous ,,,,,,,oh I forget how to spell that word .
The most important step to insure integrity is roughing up the base material even cutting into it with a blade in 2 directions and really pushing it in hard as it's setting up initially and not getting any grease in it which will weaken and slow the curing process greatly so clean hands before mixing/applying .

Last edited by chrisfrost; 11-03-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

so where can i get one?????
Old 11-03-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This topic, LS2 damper, has been covered several times prior to now. Search; most of us bought stock LS2 dampers & modified accordingly...
Old 11-03-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone see ebay 180747356628, 100% made out of delrin...how does it stack up?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
so where can i get one?????
Katech has the original LS1/LS6 tan version, I just ordered one today. Not cheap, but it's only money.

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Anyone see ebay 180747356628, 100% made out of delrin...how does it stack up?
Yeah, I saw that last night. I looked at the guy's feedback and it doesn't look like he's sold any of them before. I wouldn't want to be his guinea pig.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

katech is not cheap.........neither is that ebay 1

Quick Reply: Picked up an eBay LS1 timing chain dampener (PICS)