Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introduction and LS1 question..new member

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction and LS1 question..new member

Hey guys.
Well im a new member up here and wanted to give you some background before i ask questions haha

I currently have 97 540i 6speed black on black. My baby already traveled 270K miles and in last week i added 2.5K more...LA to Colorado drive.
The car has been pretty reliable and with that much miles, things do start to go down. Already replaced a lot of sensors and on the way down from vegas yesterday, the car started stalling at the 100F temp and bumper to bumper traffic. I rulled the problem to overheating ECU or the Crank sensor.. both problems will be taken care of today.

For a long time I have been considering LS swap into my car. My friend has a 2001 camaro SS 6speed and i have worked on his car a lot lately and honestly I like the engine. Yeah its a b**tch to replace spark plugs or install long tube headers, but overall the engine seems to run pretty well at 70K miles.

Now to the question:
Im do a lot of driving, many times for 500+ miles non stop in any weather either snow rain or desert heat. I also do track my car from time to time so that should be considered.

1) Is the LS1 motor a pretty reliable engine? I do take care of my cars a lot and all the maintenance is always up to date so that would play a role in this.
2) I noticed that my friend's camaro shakes and has vibrations at stops. I know american cars like to shake and vibrate but is cased mainly by an unbalanced motor or is it more of the design "glitch" of the engine. Because if its just unbalanced rotating assembly, ill just tear the engine apart and get the whole thing balanced before swap.

The main reason Im really doing this swap is because I noticed that the LS1 are a bit more of bulet proof when it comes to breaking down. I dont know how reliable they are but once some sensor goes down, the car will tell you about it but still will go. For example, my friend's Cam sensor died and the car still ran but rpm guage didnt work (probably was running of the crank sensor). On other hand, my cam sensor died about 6 month ago in vegas and my car just died and wouldnt run of just a crank sensor.

My build idea so far:
2001 LS1 from a vette or camaro with PCM, wiring and such combined with 6L80 or 6L90 auto trans. I might be going with the T56 for its 0.5 6th ratio but at this point i just want to go with AUto because this way i can move the engine and trans around the car a bit more and make a bit more room for over sized radiator and oil cooler.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally would look into a 6.0 lq9.. cheaper and same thing basically. Little added cubes, little added weight. Or if you want it super budget friendly, grab a 5.3.

The lsx is extremely reliable. there is a reason It is one of the most swapped engines. Reliable, easy on wallet, make good power, etc....
If your buddies car is shaking at a stop, it probably has a miss. Check plugs and wires.

By track do you mean autox? If so I'd stay manual.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:59 PM

Thanks for response and yes i do autocros and things like WillowSprings..but really not often and just for fun so that shouldnt play a role in my final decision. Mostly its a freeway, every day driver road trip car.

His car has new plugs, wires and such. But it started shaking after the headers/exhaust.

and what is that 5.3 engine? is that the Vortec motor?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Teching In

I have over 195,000 miles on mine. It's a 00 Z28 it has been dragged raced many times been on a road course and some autoX. The auto gave up after the autox. I say go with the manual as well. Its cheaper to replace a burnt clutch than a auto trans. Other than that (knock on wood) no problems at all. I even have the original alternator. Mine does not shake at all I keep up with the maintence and tune ups including an induction service. Only mods I have is a lid and catback.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by e39bmw
Thanks for response and yes i do autocros and things like WillowSprings..but really not often and just for fun so that shouldnt play a role in my final decision. Mostly its a freeway, every day driver road trip car.

His car has new plugs, wires and such. But it started shaking after the headers/exhaust.

and what is that 5.3 engine? is that the Vortec motor?
Then auto!

He definitely has an issue.. Shaking Isnt normal. The hole car? Constant or on and off?

The 5.3 is still part of the lsx family, basically a 5.3 ls1. The heads, cam, Intake, etc are all Interchangeable, same with the 6.0 lq9 and lq4. You can pick up a drop out low mileage 5.3 for around 400$, 6.0s run around 1200$ low mileage, all with warranties.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by lemons12
Then auto!

He definitely has an issue.. Shaking Isnt normal. The hole car? Constant or on and off?

The 5.3 is still part of the lsx family, basically a 5.3 ls1. The heads, cam, Intake, etc are all Interchangeable, same with the 6.0 lq9 and lq4. You can pick up a drop out low mileage 5.3 for around 400$, 6.0s run around 1200$ low mileage, all with warranties.
Well his car actually shakes as if it has a cam installed. The engine doesnt really shake that much compared to the car but once inside you can feel the car vibrate lol.

Where can i pickup a 5.3 for under $500?? IM looking for one all over craigslist but cant find any in cali/nevada area
what car did that 5.3 come in?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well his car actually shakes as if it has a cam installed. The engine doesnt really shake that much compared to the car but once inside you can feel the car vibrate lol.

Where can i pickup a 5.3 for under $500?? IM looking for one all over craigslist but cant find any in cali/nevada area
what car did that 5.3 come in?
What kind of motor mounts does he have? He definitely has an issue.

I would find someone that can buy from lkq, would be your best bet. They come in gm trucks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Silverado

There is some good Info in there, also just search ls1..
Old 04-18-2011, 09:39 PM

awesome thanks !

He has oem mounts. The car has 67K miles now i think
Old 04-18-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

No problem.. I'm lost on your buddies problem if its not a miss. Lol
Old 04-18-2011, 09:46 PM

yeah same here so i gave up haha

actually it has a tick after it warms up as well but oh well i think he is selling the car soon so idk really anymore haha
Old 04-18-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

The tick is normal for lsx engines. They sound like sewing machines, especially with an aftermarket cam.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:53 PM

sewing machine.. thats the word to describe that noise
Old 04-18-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

sewing machine.. thats the word to describe that noise
Yes sir, normal and fine. No way to get away from It.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:59 PM

Oh i see. but then why dont the vettes and new camaros have that noise?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:10 PM

Also, what about LT4 motors?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oh i see. but then why dont the vettes and new camaros have that noise?
The vettes do.
Haven't heard too many new camaros, if they aren't doing it I'm going to assume that it has something to do with head design or the like.
Also, what about LT4 motors?
What about them?
They arent part of the ls family.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres a guy here that already did a LS swap into an E39. Just to give you an idea. Just search the Hybrid section.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

The part about the 6L80 or 90 has the potential to be problematic. The 6L series transmissions have their own transmission controller, unlike the 4L60e's that came in the Fbodies and Camaros for the longest time and where controlled with the PCM. It would probably be easiest if you mated it with a Gen IV LS motor (LS2, LS3, etc). Either way, I imagine the wire harness stuff is going to be a pain to work in the BMW to keep all the instruments working properly.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:50 PM

oh alright i see...so i guess now its back to either t56 (most likely) or 4L (aybe but not likely)

THanks guys..

Oh and yeah i seen that guys post already, thanks