Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil useage question? Maybe a fix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 06:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil useage question? Maybe a fix?

So I have read that the LS uses some oil and it is normal. While changing my cam, I started looking at the valve covers. The driver side has the two squares that the vent lines are connected to. Would it hurt anything to drill a small hole ( 1/8th inch) at the top of the plastic block. It would still allow the vacume to pull the gasses out but maybe not the oil. What do you guys think? Would it mess with the vacume to the point it would mess anything up?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know which part you are talking about exactly. But if you are drilling what I think you might be talking about you will get a vacuum leak.

There are various ways to reduce oil consumption. The 04+ LS6 valley cover replaces the stock style PCV system and works decently. Alternatively you could install a catch can, although you will still "lose" oil through the PCV, it just won't be ingested. Or you could get radical and just put valve cover breathers on the car, but that is the least ideal because without the vacuum on the system you will not remove blow-by gasses as efficiently and your oil life will decrease.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

On the inside of the passanger side cover, there are two 'blocks', one side is plastic and the other metal. I am talking about drilling the plastic part.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

And it has a steel elbow then a hose . What does the hose go to , back into the intake I assume . So You're thinking that would allow more oil steam flow out of the engine and more vacuum in the engine ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's possible that it would help . I would'nt go any bigger than 1/8" for sure . LS1's use a little oil because the block being aluminum . My Mom's Northstar both of them she's had use a qt. every 1000-1500 miles . What they need to do is make the aluminum blocks hypereutectic or in other words either add silicon or add more silicon to match the pistons in amount and they probably would use les oil and be a little stronger as well .
Old 04-23-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a half a quart of oil every 2500 miles which is pretty good for a LS series engine..if you use a quart every 1000 GM will tell you that it is within spec. As was pointed out to you in this thread a 2004 LS6 valley cover and PCV will help control your oil consumption and a catch can will help keep the oil out of your intake. I really doubt that your hole drilling will change anything and you will be adding an unmeatered air situation into the system too....I would not do that.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

The hole would be drilled inside the cover so I don't think there woulb be a vacume problem. Drill the hole higher so that under vacume, it pulls air not oil.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im having a hard time trying to figure out what your saying
Old 04-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Wish I could get a pic up.If you hold the passanger side valve cover in your hand,flip it so you are looking at the inside where the oil touches. Where your lines that go to the intake connect, there is a 'block' at each one. One side is plastic the other is metal. Close to the bottom is a square hole were it would 'breathe' from. I am talking about drilling at the top of that block.

When I re-read this it was as clear as mud so if you still have no clue I undestand. And yes pics would help.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/_MG_0865.jpg

Ok used this from a for sale ad.

Drill the hole in the black part.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand what your saying. It might work if ya drill several small 1/8 in holes along the top of each side where its attached to the valve cover, as to divide the air into several small streams until it gets into the black rectangular block. It might just work, especially if you had a way to insert a piece of foam inside the block to catch oil mist. Hell, try it and let us know...