Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help cant decide on what to put in car

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help cant decide on what to put in car

Not sure I'm really new enough but saw similar q's in here. And the C5 is totally new to me!

So last year I sold my 98 Camaro and used the proceeds to buy my brothers broken 03 z06; I sold all kinds of old parts 12yrs of bolt-ons.. and went about restoring the car. Car is 03, has every bolt-on imaginable I'm in CA, it has a STS kit with CARB#'ers water-meth, just everything,lg coil overs, wilwood brakes, heat insulating body plate, roll cage, racetronix fuel pump, and boosta pump, and 60lbs inejectors, , exedy twin disc just so much already done.

I'll have a hard time filling in the signature on here.
Also has two pistons with blown ring lands.
So original plan was to have turbos rebuilt / and put forged rods, and pistons in it. So thinking 3000.00 ish to be done right, since I wasn't rushing I bought a lot of extra parts , (alternator/waterpump/oil pump/terra rockers/lifters/pushrods,cam, re-built the stock ls6 head, with patriot springs etc, arp head studs, dfi motor girdle with arp mains. For this rebuild, I'd saved up for my bottom end and could do it tomorrow 1.5 yr of savings. Then came into some cash for this project (n'uff to do whatever but realistically 10k I'm willing to spend), now I'm second guessing the STS kit. Wondering what legality is of motor swaps in CA is there any other ways to get solid 600hp out of the car. I had an STS kit on my Camaro for a long time, it was only way to get solid power smog legally and was just a PIA to keep working correctly. The Z06 kit seems better, brother claims it was problem free till motor went (we bought at same time) and I'v already purchased some nice parts to relocate it to the rear completely with self oiling rather than off motor (never liked that idea); But it's just dunno I see lots of hours trying to keep the STS happy. Want to drive it 4-5 times a week I auto-x when I can, strip maybe 3 times a year. Way I see it, forge what I got is cheap requires no major tuning work (have hp tuners and a tuner I trust should I get scared), rebuild turbo's and run till they fail then do a mild cam swap, and regret not having an ls7 in there. I'v been doing work myself and getting too old to keep crawling around stuff don't ever want to be back in this car this deep again, haunting myself why didn't i go Na when I could... So many angles gas millage too, sheesh and so many awesome shortblocks and rotating assemblies spent weeks in the fs and sponsor forums just... I feel overwhelmed. So what would you do? I sold camaro with a 5.3 and still have it's 5.7 in the basement it to inevitably ate ring lands had inspected by machinest said it was fine. So swapping wouldn't be a complete waste of parts, I could offset by selling sts kit, and two shortblocks maybe. Too complicated..

Kinda trolled this site forever now, read and read and just get more lost it's been a month and I still couldn't decide thanks for any input. This site just gets bigger every day..
Old 05-05-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How close do the smog cops in California look at true engine displacement? If possible is pick up a good 6.0 iron block, stroker crank, forged bottom end and keep the STS kit