Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle RPM way too high

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle RPM way too high

I have a 2000 Z-28 Camaro w 6spd manual. Whenever I turn the car on it idles up high to about 1200-1500 RPM where it stays there longer than it should before coming back to the stock idle. Whenever I am driving the car, every time I push the clutch pedal in the RPM rises to 2000 RPM or so (this is with the clutch pedal pushed in all the way) and it stays up there when I come to a complete stop. It will usually drop back down to the normal idle after sitting there for about 10 seconds or so. It's worse when running the ac. I'm trying to figure out what is causing this so I can get the running RPM to come back down. It's annoying trying to shift gears with your engine stuck at 2000RPM. Any input would be welcomed.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is this with the factory Throttle Body?
Old 05-23-2011, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has been doing the exact same thing since I swapped on a Fast 92 with a Fast Big Mouth 92mm TB. Thunder Racing said it was the tune causing it to do this. I'm taking it back to the tuner here next week to see if this holds true. I've toyed around with the TB and made a few adjustments but it hasn't helped at all.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Note: I should have mentioned that mine idles just fine on cold and warm start ups, it acts up while coming to a stop...it sometimes wants to just sit at 2 grand and then takes a few moments to idle down or until I drop it into any gear at a dead stop.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:57 PM

It has the stock throttle body on it, a friend of mine port and polished it and it worked fine. I did take the egr off when I put the throttle body back on, but recently i reconnected the egr to pass an inspection and it started doing that when I reconnected the egr.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

What I would do is go buy a can of throttle body cleaner, and MAFS cleaner, remove the airlid/MAFS/and bellow assembly from the TB (as a whole assembly) and spray down inside really good. First with the TB blade slightly open, then with it fully open. Wipe it down after each time, then lightly spray it down one more time and let it air dry. Now get your MAFS cleaner ans spray down the sensor wire from the rear first, then really good from the front. Let it air dry, then reinstall the assembly. If it still does it then spray some dry lube into the throttle cable sleeve. A majority of the time just cleaning the TB good will solve the problem.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TwinZs
It has the stock throttle body on it, a friend of mine port and polished it and it worked fine. I did take the egr off when I put the throttle body back on, but recently i reconnected the egr to pass an inspection and it started doing that when I reconnected the egr.
Probably a vacuum leak then.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:12 PM

I haven't been able to find a vacuum leak, that was my first thought. I went to a friends shop and we spent a good deal of time checking for leaks and couldn't find one. I'll try cleaning out the TB and see if that works.
One thing I've had someone tell me is that oil on K&N filters can get sucked in and ruin the sensors, I've only heard this from one person and I'm not sure how reliable they are.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

My '01 SS was doing something similar after a mild heads/cam swap. It would rev higher though - around 3k RPM - then come back down after some time.

If you have a scanner, it's easy to look at the pressure the MAP sensor is reporting. Mine wasn't changing - constantly showing 27.1" Hg. Vacuum was fine (although I wasted plenty of time looking for a leak).

It turned out that the MAP connector had a loose wire - probably my fault from stressing it while removing the intake manifold. Anyway - replaced the connector, MAP reported correct manifold pressure, problem solved.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Since all u did was reconnect the egr im sure you created a leak. If not a leak has the car been tuned at all?

Quick Reply: Idle RPM way too high