Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure prob

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure prob

I have a LQ4 shop built long block with all the goodys fired up first time good oil presure about 50psi at idel did some mods to oil pan cut 2" out of it mesured every thing so pick up would be same distance as stock pan came out grate but now oil presure is low and loses prime over night new o-ring when shop built took it apart twice and got worse
Old 05-23-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

huh??
Old 05-24-2011, 03:13 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

"I have a LQ4 shop built long block with all the goodies. I fired it up for the first time and had good oil presure; About 50psi at idle.

I did some mods to the oil pan. Cut 2" out of it & mesured everything so the oil pick-up would be same distance as stock pan.

It came out great, but now oil presure is low and loses prime over night. Installed a new o-ring when shop built it, I've taken it apart twice and it's gotten worse."

There. This makes it MUCH easier to read and understand!

Not being an ***, but people can't properly respond to a question (or explanation) that they can't read and comprehend.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious what could cause it to lose prime....Any ideas?...subscribing.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to buy a new pick up and o-ring. Start all over with the pick up. My freind did the same as me and no problems with oil presure. Pan looks good I will post a pic soon. hopefully get it do this weekend.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oil filter is what stops it from losing its prime.....so it could be anything behind that back to the oil pump.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes , I don't know why in the h_ll they would make and sell oil filters without the anti drain back valve but they do . I'm guessing You welded the shortened pick up tube . If You did and used inner shield wire then that's You're problem . It's next to impossible to weld using innershield and get a good seal . Gas mig is like night and day easier to weld and it be sealed . Or maybe You're pick-up is right on the bottom of pan with no room to pick up oil . But the first 1 I said is My guess . That would explain it losing prime and not wanting to pick up oil .Good luck