Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Entering into the beginning stages of my 383 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Entering into the beginning stages of my 383 build

Ok guys I have a forged 347 with some rod knock. I have thrown around all kinds of ideas about 402's iron block 408's and 415's.

But I have finally decided to just machine my block to a 383.

I found a engine shop locally that has built alot of strong SBC's and SBF's and he said he would love to do a LS based motor since there is alot of people getting into them. (this guy is supposed to be good, but what do you think about this being his first LS build? It shouldn't be to much different should it?)

My questions are:

Should i buy some Callies billet main caps separate to add?
What should be my max RPM?

I will be transferring:

Trickflow 215's
Vindicator cam (240/244 @ 608ish lift)
Vengeance ported Fast 102/ NW 102 TB
TSP 1 7/8 headers
with true duals

My wife flipped when she saw the cost of buying a shortblock and having my heads ported by Advanced Induction so I am trying to keep as many parts as I can. I think I will be fine, but should i step the cam up?

Also, other than the rotating assembly, ARP main studs, Billet caps (if i need them) what else do i need to make this go smoothly?

I will be having my heads checked out to ensure they were not damaged in the over rev I believe damaged my engine.

I would love for anyone with a 383 to chime in on what they think it will put down. I made 466 to the wheel with this combo on a 347.

Last edited by My6speedZ; 05-26-2011 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Misspelled thread title
Old 05-25-2011, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as your can goes, extra cubes will tame it down and start making power a lot lower in the rpm range.... for instance I ran a 238/242 in my 346 and it was pretty peaky ( seeing the can your running you know what I mean), pulled this cam out and put it in my 408 and it acted like a baby 224 on a stock cube motor.

I ended up going with a 255/263 and it is still a lot more street friendly than the 238/242 was in the 346

Since this is his 1st ls build, make sure he really pays attention and is careful with the reluctor rings on the crank.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will also want to make sure he has the tools to Hone the block!!!! I personally would take it to someone with experience with LS based motors. Seen a couple that old school guys have done and there were some issues!!! Just my 2 Cents
Old 05-25-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welcome to the 383 world, there are some of us here but not too many. im going to say you wont net alot more hp going 383. youll def get some more but not much, your torque is where you will shine. with that combo, im sure you will see a 500/500 combo or very close. I made 471/467 with 205 heads, LS6 intake, 238/240 cam... you sir will have a very healthy combo. i do sometimes wish i would have went larger cube with a new short block with the costs of machining and the new crank, pistons, and rods... it wasnt that much of a difference.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

You should get with Ron@ Vengeance. I am sure he has done that exact setup. That will be one nasty setup for sure.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mark21742
As far as your can goes, extra cubes will tame it down and start making power a lot lower in the rpm range.... for instance I ran a 238/242 in my 346 and it was pretty peaky ( seeing the can your running you know what I mean), pulled this cam out and put it in my 408 and it acted like a baby 224 on a stock cube motor.

I ended up going with a 255/263 and it is still a lot more street friendly than the 238/242 was in the 346

Since this is his 1st ls build, make sure he really pays attention and is careful with the reluctor rings on the crank.
Doesn't Thunder racing have a 383 stroker cam?

Originally Posted by 99LSS1
You will also want to make sure he has the tools to Hone the block!!!! I personally would take it to someone with experience with LS based motors. Seen a couple that old school guys have done and there were some issues!!! Just my 2 Cents
He does have the tool to hone. Do you know anywhere that I can search to find machining shops?

Originally Posted by SSdreamz
welcome to the 383 world, there are some of us here but not too many. im going to say you wont net alot more hp going 383. youll def get some more but not much, your torque is where you will shine. with that combo, im sure you will see a 500/500 combo or very close. I made 471/467 with 205 heads, LS6 intake, 238/240 cam... you sir will have a very healthy combo. i do sometimes wish i would have went larger cube with a new short block with the costs of machining and the new crank, pistons, and rods... it wasn't that much of a difference.
The biggest thing is i will be able to do this in stages, so it doesn't shock my wife so much when she looks in our bank account and we are 7k light in one week haha.

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
You should get with Ron@ Vengeance. I am sure he has done that exact setup. That will be one nasty setup for sure.
I also looked at the VRX7 cam.... Is a 244/248 I think that might do the job nicely. Whatcha thinking?

Also, no one has mentioned if i should add billet main caps in there to add some strength.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Your main stock main caps should be fine.

Lol my 238/242 and the cam you have now are considered stroker cams
Old 05-25-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

you might want to pm Patrick G on here, tell him everything you can about the car, engine, your driving style, and what your plans are to do with the car. He is the cam guru around here and could grind the exact cam for your wants and needs to get the most out of your setup
Old 05-25-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Main caps are fine, I went with a callies crank, and rods, wiseco piston set, and have PRC stage 2.5 5.3 heads, I ended up getting a custom cam from Geoff Skinner at EPS for this combo. Couldnt be happier. I could have made more power with a better set of heads, but Geoff told me what I knew, they would hold me back. I just couldnt drop any more cash in the build. Expect to spend some money, I was labeled as an OT ***** at work tryin to buy everything but it was worth it. Also DO not take your engine to someone who has not done one before, If he wants to learn let him do it on his own motor. I had an issue with my machinist, who tried to set my main clearances too loose, He was using sbc tolerances. I would not go to anyone who has not done LS engines before.. just my experience.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I personally would go to someone who has experience. I took my motor to have the pistons pressed on and he put half the rods on backwards, since he was following SBC specs. Hes a awesome SBC builder but didnt pay attention to the details. At the least let him know they are way different.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

you might want to pm Patrick G on here, tell him everything you can about the car, engine, your driving style, and what your plans are to do with the car. He is the cam guru around here and could grind the exact cam for your wants and needs to get the most out of your setup
I was planning in going custom, if I changed cam. After my first build my opionon on cams is "go custom or go home"

Originally Posted by RARON455
Main caps are fine, I went with a callies crank, and rods, wiseco piston set, and have PRC stage 2.5 5.3 heads, I ended up getting a custom cam from Geoff Skinner at EPS for this combo. Couldnt be happier. I could have made more power with a better set of heads, but Geoff told me what I knew, they would hold me back. I just couldnt drop any more cash in the build. Expect to spend some money, I was labeled as an OT ***** at work tryin to buy everything but it was worth it. Also DO not take your engine to someone who has not done one before, If he wants to learn let him do it on his own motor. I had an issue with my machinist, who tried to set my main clearances too loose, He was using sbc tolerances. I would not go to anyone who has not done LS engines before.. just my experience.
What is your red-line? But I am thinking I'm going to go with someone else for sure after talking to him a second time. I know the guy has some seriously fast SBC and SBF stuff, but my wife said this is the last time i can dump money into my car for a while and cant afford for it to let go.

Originally Posted by parks450
I personally would go to someone who has experience. I took my motor to have the pistons pressed on and he put half the rods on backwards, since he was following SBC specs. Hes a awesome SBC builder but didnt pay attention to the details. At the least let him know they are way different.

Does anyone know a LS machinist in the Charlotte, Mooresville of NC area?

I've called some local shops (wont name them) and both wouldn't give up the info.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
I was planning in going custom, if I changed cam. After my first build my opionon on cams is "go custom or go home"

What is your red-line? But I am thinking I'm going to go with someone else for sure after talking to him a second time. I know the guy has some seriously fast SBC and SBF stuff, but my wife said this is the last time i can dump money into my car for a while and cant afford for it to let go.

Does anyone know a LS machinist in the Charlotte, Mooresville of NC area?

I've called some local shops (wont name them) and both wouldn't give up the info.
If I ever go with another cam I'm going to go custom grind.

Best way I've found to get a good shop is to goto your local track and find the guys with fast LS motors and ask them....and find a shop that is backed up a few weeks, because a good shop is a busy shop
Old 05-25-2011, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

I'm sure that Patrick G will spec you THE PERFECT cam for your setup to reach THE MAXIMUM performance and highest power under th curve.

Having that said, I have seen some great results for 383's with VRX5 cam which is smaller than the Vindicator (530+ rwhp with TFS heads). Thunder Racing Stroker V.3 cam 247/251 puts down 537 rwhp.

You cannot realy compare cam numbers from different vendors because each cam uses different lobes. Also there are many inputs to consider when specing a cam including the user needs of the cam (max effort, street/strip, daily use.....etc), engine's compression, elevation, heads flow numbers, intake manifold, transmission, gear ratio, ...... etc. It's nearly impossible to find off the shelf cam that fits all of thease requirements. However, some cams are closer to your setup than others.

You have a great setup and I think with 11.5:1 compresstion and the Vindicator, you should be close to 500rwhp. Good luck...
Old 05-25-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

What are you 383 guys spinning your motors to?

I was shifting my 347 at 7k
Old 05-25-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

My 408 is set at 7,500 rpms fuel cut right now, and shift at 7,300rpms....once I get it on a dyno Il find out exactly where it starts dropping off and set everything accordingly
Old 05-25-2011, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

You will love the extra cubes. Your currently cam will on the smallish side now
Old 05-25-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont go past 7k, dyno graph shows my power to straightline at around there , and not making more past that.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

My 408 is set at 7,500 rpms fuel cut right now, and shift at 7,300rpms....once I get it on a dyno Il find out exactly where it starts dropping off and set everything accordingly
Graphs do help when setting shift points. What valve springs are you using?
That seems pretty high, don't want to be picking up any valve float if ya know what I mean.

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
You will love the extra cubes. Your currently cam will on the smallish side now
Ok, I just wasn't sure if the longer stroke would eat of that much of the cam. You think something in the high 240's low 250's would be what they are going to suggest? Wanting to flatten the curve out as much as I can, while keeping nice top end. My vindicator in my 347 was mean up top, but I certainly want to flatten it out and I am willing to loose some of that for more low end grunt.

Originally Posted by RARON455
I dont go past 7k, dyno graph shows my power to straightline at around there , and not making more past that.
Great I was wanting to know what other 383 guys were spinning, so that when they spec my cam they wont end up pushing the power band to far to the right chasing dyno numbers.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

damn i just realized i misspelled my thread title LMAO
Old 05-26-2011, 05:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Graphs do help when setting shift points. What valve springs are you using?
That seems pretty high, don't want to be picking up any valve float if ya know what I mean.

Ok, I just wasn't sure if the longer stroke would eat of that much of the cam. You think something in the high 240's low 250's would be what they are going to suggest? Wanting to flatten the curve out as much as I can, while keeping nice top end. My vindicator in my 347 was mean up top, but I certainly want to flatten it out and I am willing to loose some of that for more low end grunt.

Great I was wanting to know what other 383 guys were spinning, so that when they spec my cam they wont end up pushing the power band to far to the right chasing dyno numbers.
I'm running Comp dual valve springs...I for get the exact part number at the moment

Quick Reply: Entering into the beginning stages of my 383 build