Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX bowtie vs ERL sleeved aluminum blocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LSX bowtie vs ERL sleeved aluminum blocks

Again which one would be better for the long run for a turbo setup. Jus want to get a better peace of mind before I actually make a decision on the setup I got with.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ERL block IMO. Great sponsor that knows these engines and does quality work. Lightweight AL will keep weight down and still handle the abuse. Many sponsors are finding core shift in the lsx blocks which means either more prep work or having to wait for another block..
Old 05-27-2011, 09:11 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

LSX block. It has 6 bolts per cylinder, billet main caps, a priority main oiling system, etc. Its a race block built for the sole purpose of handling a lot of power.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

ERL blocks have 6 bolt per cyl. and billet mains as well.. just dont want to buy something and have the doubt in my mind.. (f*k i should've gotten the other).. i dont want to end up saying that.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

I really think the priority main oiling on the LSx block is the biggest PRO for it. What is the price comparison? They can both be had with 6 head bolts.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:50 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by iMpoSStoR
ERL blocks have 6 bolt per cyl. and billet mains as well.. just dont want to buy something and have the doubt in my mind.. (f*k i should've gotten the other).. i dont want to end up saying that.
The only thing the ERL block has going for it is the weight. It's still made from an aluminum alloy intended for OEM passenger cars. Since we're actually talking about an ERL Superdeck, the extra bolts holes are welded in rather than designed in the original casting. The mains are still the last to receive oil. There is still less material surrounding the lifter bores and cam tunnel.

ERL does great work, but the Superdeck is just an OEM block disguised as a race block.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:43 PM
FormerVendor

I appreciate your opinion but I think you're mis-informed about this. We have been testing and improving our Superdeck system now for 5 to 6 years in the harshest environments from sand rails to 2000 +hp drag cars and have had GREAT success.

Yes we use stock castings but these "OEM" cast GM blocks are a great platform for ERL to work their magic. I don't know how you can say it's just an OEM block disguised as a race block. It's quite clear from our website and from many articles written about our Superdeck system that it's anything but OEM and I can tell you that MANY big boost, high horsepower guys use our product with great success and have for years. You can't push 2000 hp through an "OEM block intended for a passenger car", but after we are done with it you can and do.

The LSX block has it's purpose and so does ours. In the end after you spend the money to get either one ready for a big application it all comes down to weight and allot of it. 140 lbs in most cases extra on the nose of the car.

One of the nice things about our ERL Superdeck I product is that anyone with an aluminum LS core can send it in and have it transformed from an OEM 300 - 400 hp bottom end to a 2000 + hp if they want and everything in between. There is no need to purchase an aftermarket one when their core will do everything they need it to do after sending it to ERL.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:37 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by ERL Performance
I appreciate your opinion but I think you're mis-informed about this. We have been testing and improving our Superdeck system now for 5 to 6 years in the harshest environments from sand rails to 2000 +hp drag cars and have had GREAT success.

Yes we use stock castings but these "OEM" cast GM blocks are a great platform for ERL to work their magic. I don't know how you can say it's just an OEM block disguised as a race block. It's quite clear from our website and from many articles written about our Superdeck system that it's anything but OEM and I can tell you that MANY big boost, high horsepower guys use our product with great success and have for years. You can't push 2000 hp through an "OEM block intended for a passenger car", but after we are done with it you can and do.

The LSX block has it's purpose and so does ours. In the end after you spend the money to get either one ready for a big application it all comes down to weight and allot of it. 140 lbs in most cases extra on the nose of the car.

One of the nice things about our ERL Superdeck I product is that anyone with an aluminum LS core can send it in and have it transformed from an OEM 300 - 400 hp bottom end to a 2000 + hp if they want and everything in between. There is no need to purchase an aftermarket one when their core will do everything they need it to do after sending it to ERL.
Like I said, I think you guys do great work and I'm not trying to bash ERL.

However, I do not think an OEM block is comparable to a race block no matter how much you weld on or machine into it. It's still an OEM passenger car block. Sure the ERL Superdeck has proven capable of 2000hp, and so has the LSX Bowtie block, but that is irrelevant. The topic is which is better in the long run. Unless I am misinformed and you can get the ERL Superdeck with a 60mm cam, .937" lifters, and priority main oiling, my choice is the Bowtie block.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

im really leaning towards ERL.. either way i go, if anything happens im gonna say the same thing.. should've gone the other route.. i've seen LSX's blow a little too much.. so wanna try something different..
Old 05-31-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

lsx block does not have very long sleeves for ultra long stroke cranks say for na apps. Just one negative besides the weight penalty.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i would go with ERL, i mean for example, if you to got the boost section you will find plenty of people on here running stock casting 5.7-6.2 blocks with forged internals and running 1000+ hp. there is no reason to think that the block itself would be the weak point in any matter. the main reason i have seen an LS block go is from parts breaking off (ie broken cylinder 7 ring lands, bent valves due to not enough PTV clearance, insignificant oiling, overheating). so the block itself even in stock form is a masterpiece just in itself, and ERL just took a great thing and made it AWESOME! if you are worried about the oiling, then get a dry sump LS7 based system with an 8 quart oil pan, otherwise their blocks are awesome in every way. unless you are pushing like 20+psi of boost, 6 head bolts are not necessary
Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

What does it cost to send in an LS1 block to ERL and have them set it up for extreme use? How big can they make the bore? Are the sleeves replaceable (something the LSx block cant do). Can ERL tell us some prices and some of the things they do to them?
Old 06-01-2011, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
What does it cost to send in an LS1 block to ERL and have them set it up for extreme use? How big can they make the bore? Are the sleeves replaceable (something the LSx block cant do). Can ERL tell us some prices and some of the things they do to them?
They have a lot of that info on their website here
Old 06-01-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks

Quick Reply: LSX bowtie vs ERL sleeved aluminum blocks