Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check coolant level light???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default check coolant level light???

This light is always on. The level is full and car runs perfect. The sensor has been replaced I believe and it comes back on again. Is there a trick to getting this out?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Teching In

From what I've read and researched, this is a known issue with LS1s - they places the sensor in a crappy place that tends to get gunk on it. To solve, you can either pull it out and clean the sensor. Since I know my fluids are 100% in check, I don't bother when it comes on (recently did a flush & fill), so it's just a fine, undocumented feature in these cars.

Personally, my power steering cooler broke and mixed my PS fluid and antifreeze causing a nasty mess in my cooling system. Even today, after an intensive flush, I still get oily gunk that rises to the top of the reservior bottle. Given this, I did a couple things - first, I burped the cooling system to ensure there is no unwanted pockets of air. Second, I used some towels and dipped them in my reservoir tank to soak up the PS fluid residue (oil rises above water). Then I used a powerwasher inside of it to really clean it up. Not the perfect solution, but it worked for me.

Hope this helps. I found other documented examples of the coolant light through Google and the forum search.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine does the same thing, but only comes on periodically, regardless of what I do. When mine acts up I just make sure my coolant reservoir has plenty of coolant, and the engine temperature isn't running higher than normal , and I don't smell/see a actual coolant leak. Have you tried spraying some electrical contact cleaner in the connector, it couldn't hurt.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

You can also unplug the sensor until you get around to fixing it. The light will go out.

Common problem. Mine went south shortly after i bought the car, has been unplugged since.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

^^^^ this. mine has been unplugged for years.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Last time I drained my radiator it came on even though i had filled it up so i let it run with the cap off for like fifteen minutes and filled the reservoir to the top. After filling it this way I turned the car off and back on and it was gone and has been since.