Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

umm.... help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default umm.... help.

Today I changed the oil for the first time since I've owned the car. I've only put a few hundred miles on it but,figured it wouldn't hurt not knowing the history of the car. When I pulled the drain plug there were a few (5-7) needle bearings and what would appear to be something like a bearing sheild or something similar. The needle bearings are probably small enough to put under the nail of my pinky for size reference (haven't measured yet). I'm using my phone at the moment so I can't post pics, but I can when I get home. I was just hoping that some of you more experienced and intelligent members would be able to give me some form of insight from past experience or prior knowledge. I appreciate any input greatly seeing as how I am a noob at life.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Likely needle bearings from your rocker arms.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-02-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98ragz28
Today I changed the oil for the first time since I've owned the car. I've only put a few hundred miles on it but,figured it wouldn't hurt not knowing the history of the car. When I pulled the drain plug there were a few (5-7) needle bearings and what would appear to be something like a bearing sheild or something similar. The needle bearings are probably small enough to put under the nail of my pinky for size reference (haven't measured yet). I'm using my phone at the moment so I can't post pics, but I can when I get home. I was just hoping that some of you more experienced and intelligent members would be able to give me some form of insight from past experience or prior knowledge. I appreciate any input greatly seeing as how I am a noob at life.
Stop driving it and pull the valve covers

One of your rockers has given up and spilled its roller bearing, they are fairly easy to replace.
Options
Replace just that one,
Intake and exhaust rockers are the same and can be purchased as singles, but if one has went already??
Replace them all
The cheapest way to insure this does not happen again is to replace all of the stock trunion roller bearings with the Crane or Harland Sharp upgraded roller trunions, all said, this is not much cheaper than just replacing all of the rockers if you shop around.
Replace all of the rockers
I have Scorpions and love them.
While you have the valve train partially apart now is a good time to replace the push rods.

The remaining bearings will usually fall into the oil pan and stay there or come out in the drain, I stress USUALLY.

Last edited by Anthony Williams; 06-02-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

I've already parked it. That's what I was hoping it was. Thanks for fast input, its greatly appreciated. In he mean time I think I might see if grandmother will let me drive her 87 grand national until my car gets back up and running.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 98ragz28
I've already parked it. That's what I was hoping it was. Thanks for fast input, its greatly appreciated. In he mean time I think I might see if grandmother will let me drive her 87 grand national until my car gets back up and running.
My kind of grandmother, better stay on her good side!
Old 06-18-2011, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

it was the rocker bearings. i bought the comp cams upgrade kit and problem solved. i didnt get to drive the gn though.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait.. you still have a problem. I'd talk to gma about those keys to make it through the weekend.