Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what oil to break in new cam heads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what oil to break in new cam heads?

Do I use conventional oil instead of full syn to break in new heads/ cam? And do I use assembly lube on the cam bearings? My first ls build....lol
Old 06-06-2011, 11:13 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is no specific break in oil for a heads cam swap. We always coat the cam in oil before it goes in the motor. For break in all you need to do is make sure the springs get heat cycled once or twice. We don't use synthetic oils on these motors, we prefer a standard oil because it provides better lubrication for these types of motors.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah no assembly lube on the cam,just regular motor oil on it before you put it in.I laugh when i see roller cams going into motors with all kinds of red assembly lube.All that crap does is stick inside your motor
Old 06-06-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

id put assemply lube on just the rocker tips and ends of the pushrods but thats probably it
Old 06-06-2011, 02:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
There is no specific break in oil for a heads cam swap. We always coat the cam in oil before it goes in the motor. For break in all you need to do is make sure the springs get heat cycled once or twice. We don't use synthetic oils on these motors, we prefer a standard oil because it provides better lubrication for these types of motors.
You want to explain at all on the reasoning or evidence you think standard oil lubricates better than a synthetic in "these types of motors". But OP oil on the cam and heatcycles on the springs is a fine way of breaking in your new parts. O and probly 500 miles of break in on that new clutch going in Its difficult to do for me.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:33 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

I am sorry my wording was incorrect. We prefer standard oils, especially for break-in periods, over synthetic oil because it allows the motor to wear in correctly. Synthetic oils actually provide so much lubrication that brand new motors will not see the correct type of wear to break in properly. For this reason we recommend using regular oils until at least a few thousand miles are put on a new motor.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:38 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for clearing that up. Thought thats what you ment to say.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
You want to explain at all on the reasoning or evidence you think standard oil lubricates better than a synthetic in "these types of motors".
+1. not disagreeing with you, just looking to be educated. i've always used synthetic oil on LS1's. bad idea?
Old 06-06-2011, 02:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98BlackTransAm
+1. not disagreeing with you, just looking to be educated. i've always used synthetic oil on LS1's. bad idea?
Synthetic is great to use. John and myself would recommend a standard dino oil for breaking of new engine parts new engines and such. which he explain in his second post.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
id put assemply lube on just the rocker tips and ends of the pushrods but thats probably it
This is a good idea though which I would do.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am sorry my wording was incorrect. We prefer standard oils, especially for break-in periods, over synthetic oil because it allows the motor to wear in correctly. Synthetic oils actually provide so much lubrication that brand new motors will not see the correct type of wear to break in properly. For this reason we recommend using regular oils until at least a few thousand miles are put on a new motor.
What about Corvettes that have come with factory fill Mobil 1 for a long time now and so do the 5th Gen Camaros?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^^good point
Old 06-08-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mobil 1, for example, claims on its website that engine break in works just fine on synthetic oil.

[ of course, it is not cost effective since it will be thrown away in a very short number of miles ]
Old 06-08-2011, 03:58 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bramlok
What about Corvettes that have come with factory fill Mobil 1 for a long time now and so do the 5th Gen Camaros?
That is true, but like I said WE prefer to use non synthetic oils for brand new motors. If GM chooses to use synthetic oils on their brand new motors that is their choice. We are just trying to make sure the motors we provide are broken in correctly so they run at their best. Just because GM does something does that make it right?
Old 06-08-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Just because GM does something does that make it right?

I can see both sides of this argument but GM is wanting their engines to last well past 100,xxx miles I would guess. I would think they would do something a little differently if it would help with engine longevity.

And no, just because GM does something it doesn't make it right.
They put a 7.5 10 bolt in our cars and we all know that ain't right.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:15 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

I am not saying to never use synthetic, just not the first few thousand miles on a brand new motor. Hell its probably all marketing anyway. I bet if penzoil payed enough GM would put it in all their cars too.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bramlok
I know its a different car but i was going to make this point also, all Porsche's come factory filled with Synthetic also! FYI, my car currently has Dino in it for break in...

Mark
Old 06-08-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

current oils don't have the good stuff in them any more ,removed to help with cat life.there are some oils designed for break in(comp cam),mostly concerning flat tappet use.I was told valvoline racing oil is good for break in also.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I still think that if dino oil was better car manufacturers would use them. I thought I read something once with roller cams and the way cylinder walls are finished now that synthetic works fine.

It's amazing to me that even now you can't get a explanation of why you should or shouldn't. I mean yeah there are opinions but I am talking about actual facts.

Maybe we need to get Shane on this to kill another internet myth.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is true, but like I said WE prefer to use non synthetic oils for brand new motors. If GM chooses to use synthetic oils on their brand new motors that is their choice. We are just trying to make sure the motors we provide are broken in correctly so they run at their best. Just because GM does something does that make it right?
I'm not saying you or GM is wrong. I'm just saying there hasn't been a rash of Corvette LS1's wearing out prematurely since they started putting Mobil 1 in them some 14 years ago.

I agree with you though. The only reason I would use a dino oil for break on a new motor (not just heads/cam) is because it will have to be changed sooner. Its cheaper than dumping out expensive synthetic oil just for break in.

Quick Reply: what oil to break in new cam heads?