Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Port matching to intake - how and why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Port matching to intake - how and why?

Before the days of silicon gaskets and plastic intake manifolds port matching was easy. Buy a gasket, place it on a couple of studs, spray intake port flange with black paint, grind away to match.

How can I do this with my 243's/LS6 intake? Does anyone sell paper/card gaskets for these engines?

The heads will be off the motor anyway (it's a vortec getting an upgrade) so the work will be easier to get at. Is it worth doing a bit of mild cleaning up in the port, mostly between where the machining ends and the casting carries on?

Even if it only adds a few horses or 1/2 a mpg I don't mind making some effort.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have often wondered this same thing. I know how its dont on the FAST intake because of its 3 piece design but on an ls1 or 6 intake Im not sure. I know I have seen a full paper gasket intake set before but it might be for one of the metaal intakes. I bet that would work if you could figure out where to get them.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:24 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Forget using the gasket. Try focusing on matching the intake runner to the cylinder head instead.

Read this to better understand how to properly port match the manifold to the cylinder head.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A nice peice of fresh white poster board will go a long way.

Pull your "O" ring gaskets out of the intake and lay a peice of poster board on the gasket area....take your dirty fingers and rub all around the port areas and bolt holes....works just like a graphite rubbing .
Take a Sharp razor blade and carefully cut out the rubbed pattern and BAM! you have a perfect templet .

Lay your cut out poster board on the head, line up the ports and bolt holes then spray some black paint on the head and you can start grinding.

I use poster board for fabbing up everything I build...its easier to cut/ tape paper over and over than it is to grind, cut and reweld metal over and over to get the right shape
Old 06-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very helpful, I'll get a pack of scalpel blades and give it a go next week.
It might only net a few hp but for a few hours work, why not, especially after I have done the easy stuff. It's either $$ or time, I only have time
Old 06-11-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Not a very common practice on these motors. You can screw your heads up if you aren't careful.