Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4+MS4 set up question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4+MS4 set up question

I picked up a LQ4 for rather cheap that im buildin for my silverado. Ive put the engine on a stand and slowly building it up. Ive just recently installed a MS4 cam and was wantin to have some imputs from others being that im new to LS motors. Yes, yes, yes it is true i have been a Mustang fan for years but have now saved myself and converted to GM My main questions are wat is the best set up with this cam, shaving the heads, N2O, forced induction?? Ill be daily driving it and sometimes running it on the strip. Wat i had in mind was gettin the heads shaved .002, ive ordered some hardened push rods already (7.4), stiffer springs, LS1 intake, billet fuel rails, LT's, and a custom tune. Im open to all suggestions so please help me with some ideas!
Old 06-12-2011, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

I have never seen an LS not like nitrous.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by White Shadow
I have never seen an LS not like nitrous.
Thats wat ive always heard. But tryin to figured out how much would be "safe" persay. and also about how much i can shave the heads with out the valves playing patty cake with the piston. Id like to up the compression cause ive always been told that run more compression with nitrous but i dont want to up it so much that i have to run race fuel and or have valve clearance issues
Old 06-12-2011, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99LopinRado
Thats wat ive always heard. But tryin to figured out how much would be "safe" persay. and also about how much i can shave the heads with out the valves playing patty cake with the piston. Id like to up the compression cause ive always been told that run more compression with nitrous but i dont want to up it so much that i have to run race fuel and or have valve clearance issues
I'd try and sell the 317's that are on your motor and pick up a set of 243's. The 243's have a smaller combustion chamber from the factory therefore you won't have any need to shave the heads.

It is pretty typical for people to spray a 150 religiously on stock bottom end LS motors. Nozzle or plate will work but a plate will distribute more evenly.

When you get ready to order a kit, call these guys: http://nitrousoutlet.com/
Old 06-12-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That cam needs way more than an ls1 intake can offer. That intake falls off around 5800rpms.. You are going to want to spin it until at least 6400, minimum.
Ms4 won't like boost too much. Stick to nitrous for a power added.
You won't be milling much on any head unless you flycut with that cam. The ptv clearance is very small on that cam. Since the motor is out of the car, it would be pretty simple to flycut so you could get the compression you want.

Shadow is correct on the heads.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

What torque converter do you have?
Old 06-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Teching In

What torque converter do you have?
I havent made up my mind yet on how big i want. i was thinkin a 3200 for daily use.

Originally Posted by lemons12
That cam needs way more than an ls1 intake can offer. That intake falls off around 5800rpms.. You are going to want to spin it until at least 6400, minimum.
Ms4 won't like boost too much. Stick to nitrous for a power added.
You won't be milling much on any head unless you flycut with that cam. The ptv clearance is very small on that cam. Since the motor is out of the car, it would be pretty simple to flycut so you could get the compression you want.

Shadow is correct on the heads.
The motor is actually goin in my silverado and it have a 4l60 in it now but i was thinkin about goin to a 4l80 being that i can get one of them cheaper than i can get a 4l60 built.

I'd try and sell the 317's that are on your motor and pick up a set of 243's. The 243's have a smaller combustion chamber from the factory therefore you won't have any need to shave the heads.

It is pretty typical for people to spray a 150 religiously on stock bottom end LS motors. Nozzle or plate will work but a plate will distribute more evenly.

When you get ready to order a kit, call these guys: http://nitrousoutlet.com/
Yea ive been told that the 243 heads are the way to go. This is gonna be my daily driver so im not lookin for something outrageous. Just a nice little sleeper/streetfighter =)
Old 06-12-2011, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ms4 has a huge lope, no sleeper there.

You will want an ls6 intake.

I would move up to a 3600-4000 converter that can also take a decent nitrous hit. That is a large cam, it will be lazy beloved 4500 rpms.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

You will want an ls6 intake.
And a transmission cooler.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Your problem.. You picked a max effort cam for a DD street setup.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Your problem.. You picked a max effort cam for a DD street setup.
Should have gotten a T-Rex.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Should have gotten a T-Rex.
Instead of shaking my head I actually laughed this time!

With this build, why not!?
Old 06-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Instead of shaking my head I actually laughed this time!

With this build, why not!?
lol yea i mean if i could find a little smaller cam that someone would trade i would. This MS4 i got is brand new. Ive installed in the block but thats it. We do everything *** backwards here in south georgia lol

Would it be better to run a LS6 intake or a regular truck intake? I heard that the truck intakes make better bottom end that the LS1 style intake but make up for it on top end. Im not wantin to run this thing up to 180mph. Just would like to go to our local 1/8th miles track, throw up some low 8 second passes and drive it to the local huddle house and eat.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol yea i mean if i could find a little smaller cam that someone would trade i would. This MS4 i got is brand new. Ive installed in the block but thats it. We do everything *** backwards here in south georgia lol
I'm in southern TN northern bama so I get ya! Haha
A smaller cam would definitely suit your needs much better. Big fake are awesome but only If you are going to let them breath and compliment them. If not in most scenarios a smaller cam will accomplish the same and maybe even out perform the larger cam.
Would it be better to run a LS6 intake or a regular truck intake? I heard that the truck intakes make better bottom end that the LS1 style intake but make up for it on top end. Im not wantin to run this thing up to 180mph. Just would like to go to our local 1/8th miles track, throw up some low 8 second passes and drive it to the local huddle house and eat.
Not sure on the truck intake.
That cam needs to be able to breath in the high rpms, regardless of mph. Otherwise it will be a turd and won't perform as it should. In that case a more properly set up smaller cam setup would outperform it.
This cam is not a cam for low to midrange rpm. It is a top end monster. The more air higher in the rpm you can give it the better. If you can't or aren't willing to do that my best suggestion is find another cam.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Teching In

I'm in southern TN northern bama so I get ya! Haha
A smaller cam would definitely suit your needs much better. Big fake are awesome but only If you are going to let them breath and compliment them. If not in most scenarios a smaller cam will accomplish the same and maybe even out perform the larger cam.

Not sure on the truck intake.
That cam needs to be able to breath in the high rpms, regardless of mph. Otherwise it will be a turd and won't perform as it should. In that case a more properly set up smaller cam setup would outperform it.
This cam is not a cam for low to midrange rpm. It is a top end monster. The more air higher in the rpm you can give it the better. If you can't or aren't willing to do that my best suggestion is find another cam.
I agree. I had a comp custom grind nitrous cam and springs but i let my friend choose which he wanted to buy either that nitrous cam or this ms4. he said that ms4 was too big for his stock 5.3. so i was like oh well f it ill stick in this 6.0 i got and see wat kinda **** i can tear up. lol
Old 06-12-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

That cam will work and get you want you want.

However... a much smaller cam can achieve the same In a similar setup. The ms4 will sound nasty.
I wouldnt want a drag car sound ms4 sound and get pulled by a 226 street car sounding car however. Some don't care though!
I always try to pick the smallest cam to over shoot goals.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Teching In

That cam will work and get you want you want.

However... a much smaller cam can achieve the same In a similar setup. The ms4 will sound nasty.
I wouldnt want a drag car sound ms4 sound and get pulled by a 226 street car sounding car however. Some don't care though!
I always try to pick the smallest cam to over shoot goals.
haha yea thatd would be quite embarassing. I think ima stick with my ms4 and try to get my hands on some 243 heads so i can run the compression i want with out chancing ptv clearance issues. then get a nice nitrous tune and shoot it wit a little 150 shot for the icing on the cake

Thanks everyone for your opinions. They were very helpful. Instead of having 2 options i now have several options because of yall and i really appreciate it! And lemons Thanks especially to you for taking the time and schooling a newbie on the pros and cons. Your input was very helpful and nice to kno that there is someone out there that will take the time and talk to a total stranger and teach them useful tips and not harrass them for their shortcomings. Thanks again everyone! I will keep everyone updated on the build!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

No problem man. I've been there done that and still have a long way to go but if I can save someone a few bucks or a head ache by slightly altering a build or giving a heads up, I feel obligated as plenty have done it for me.
Also keep in mind that nice port job on those heads won't show Itself with that ls1 intake very well. It's an extra 300$ but an ls6 will show a nice gain and allow you to use the port and high rpm power the ms4 offers. Honestly even with an ls6 the power will still be climbing when it starts to choke the setup. It will allow you to shift at around 6400, should be a solid 15-18rwhp increase given the setup. Will make a large difference that you will aprreciate. You can get about 45-75$ out of that ls1 intake.
You are going to double check PR length and ptv clearance, correct?
Old 06-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Teching In

No problem man. I've been there done that and still have a long way to go but if I can save someone a few bucks or a head ache by slightly altering a build or giving a heads up, I feel obligated as plenty have done it for me.
Also keep in mind that nice port job on those heads won't show Itself with that ls1 intake very well. It's an extra 300$ but an ls6 will show a nice gain and allow you to use the port and high rpm power the ms4 offers. Honestly even with an ls6 the power will still be climbing when it starts to choke the setup. It will allow you to shift at around 6400, should be a solid 15-18rwhp increase given the setup. Will make a large difference that you will aprreciate. You can get about 45-75$ out of that ls1 intake.
You are going to double check PR length and ptv clearance, correct?
I was told as long as i dont shave the heads more than .0020 that i can run stock length pr's. which i actually ordered yesterday. 7.4 1 piece hardened pushrods. I think im gonna go with the 243 heads so that i wont have a ptv clearance issue but still have the CR im lookin for to run a 150 shot. And also plannin on gettin the heads ported and polished. Every little bit helps right?
Old 06-12-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

You should always double check. With a cam that size I would triple check. Better to be safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: LQ4+MS4 set up question